Protege5 / Mazda6 Brake swap problem

I meant since I posted that. I suggested the gravity bleed and re-positioning the calipers, then you wrote that firestone said the same thing (about re-positioning the calipers). I was just curious as to whether re-positioning the calipers didn't work and that's why you took it to firestone or you were just getting fed up. Also, did they not bleed them while you were there? Pretty rare that they would give friendly advice without making a buck.

nah they charged me $20 for looking at it lol ...but i figured id try to save to other $30 for having them bleed them and try to do it myself with them re-positioned (I hadnt tried that yet btw)

Gotcha, it sucks that something so trivial can be so frustrating. Worst case though, $50 isn't bad to have them bleed the system, they have nice tools. I just got my motor in so maybe I can mine working soon. Keep us posted

only had time to bleed each of the rears once today. tons of small air bubbles came out the MC when we pumped the brakes. it gave me a little more pedal, but when i started the car it was still too soft to drive :/

only had time to bleed each of the rears once today. tons of small air bubbles came out the MC when we pumped the brakes. it gave me a little more pedal, but when i started the car it was still too soft to drive :/

(boom07)

(gah)

good news! ...pedal is still soft..BUT if you pump it, and stomp it, it stops REALLYYYYY well.. i was even able to lock them up at will. I'm sick of bleeding them myself, so im gonna have firestone finish it off tomorrow

(yippy)

So Justin has (pretty much) completed this swap. He took it to a garage that refused to bleed them because the calipers were on the "wrong side". The calipers on the left side are embossed with an L and the right side are embossed with an R but .... yeah, whatever
numcreio.gif

Another garage told him that to remove and rotate the rear calipers and bleed the brakes would be $200. Whatever.
Justin removed and rotated the rear calipers putting the bleeders parallel to the ground and did a 4 wheel gravity bleed by himself. The brakes are at full usage now. They still feel weird (spongy I guess) but they are safe. I drove it a couple of miles. They work every time. This was a long drawn out process. But Justin stuck with it. I'm proud of him. He did the whole swap essentially by himself.

Just a few months ago I taught him to change his oil!

Way to go Justin!!
smiley-thumbsup.jpg

So is this the first completed FOUR WHEEL Mazda 6 brake swap on p5?

There have been a couple 4 wheel speed6 brake swaps on the sedans, but the information on the is so non existant i cant confirm. Thanks to Justin for putting a thread together, glad to help and be a part of the whole deal.

it's pretty cool! they are spongy at first but if you get into them they really grab! I'd be interested to see if a mazda 6 MC (if it fit) would change that

Not to bring back an older thread, but what year 6 were the rear calipers off of? I am getting ready to order fronts off a 08 6 and as for the rears I wanted to get the same ones you had to be able to follow the ebrake solution spot on. Btw congrats man!

Thanks man, didn't feel like goin back thru all the posts that late especially after closing at work and studying for my anatomy midterm..

So Justin has (pretty much) completed this swap. He took it to a garage that refused to bleed them because the calipers were on the "wrong side". The calipers on the left side are embossed with an L and the right side are embossed with an R but .... yeah, whatever
numcreio.gif

Another garage told him that to remove and rotate the rear calipers and bleed the brakes would be $200. Whatever.
Justin removed and rotated the rear calipers putting the bleeders parallel to the ground and did a 4 wheel gravity bleed by himself. The brakes are at full usage now. They still feel weird (spongy I guess) but they are safe. I drove it a couple of miles. They work every time. This was a long drawn out process. But Justin stuck with it. I'm proud of him. He did the whole swap essentially by himself.

Just a few months ago I taught him to change his oil!

Way to go Justin!!
smiley-thumbsup.jpg

So is this the first completed FOUR WHEEL Mazda 6 brake swap on p5?
did you guys replace parking brake cable with M 6 cable as well or it doesn't work anymore?

Ten year old post, they might have sorted it back in 2013 👍

For Mazda6 rear brakes, custom handbrake cables are needed, from memory the mazda6 cable doesn't quite fit. Bleeding them properly is a major PITA too :)

Ten year old post, they might have sorted it back in 2013 👍

For Mazda6 rear brakes, custom handbrake cables are needed, from memory the mazda6 cable doesn't quite fit. Bleeding them properly is a major PITA too :)
I saw your photos recently on a thread. What is your setup right now? I am about to place an order and only missing part is rear caliper. MSP supposed to work so l might find one from a junk yard.

Red car has 2nd gen (2008-12) Atenza wagon brakes all round, with the rear calipers swapped sides and custom handbrake cables - worth it for the extra disk area but a bit of a pain to setup initially

Blue car has 1st gen atenza sedan front brakes and stock rear calipers :)

The last gen (97-02) Capella/ 626 wagon brakes are another bolt on option that don't need a custom hand brake cable 👍

Back