Shaved Side Moldings

Wow, i'm surpised this thread has been pulled up, also glad that it was usefull in your door moulding removal venture, also, i just used goo gone... basically uses citrus oils to remove the adhesive.

Realized today that my car only had the moldings on the right side. I have had the car for a couple weeks now and I can't believe I never noticed it ha! Decided to just go ahead and do it without specific instructions, especially since I didn't want to go out to the store to pick up fishing line and a heat gun. If you do use dental floss, make sure you fold it a few times so it is stronger and doesn't rip constantly. I wound the floss around a screwdriver to prevent messing up my hand while pulling. Also, if you have a pressure washer USE IT! If you look at the second picture MizzMP5 posted there is a thick layer of the adhesive goo/tape left over. A pressure washer will take the bulk of that off no problem. After that just use a towel, goo gone and some elbow grease. Personally I am fairly picky about my paint so I didn't want to be scraping any of the goo off. The pressure washer helped preserve my paint and did the bulk of the work.

I pulled the dealer pin stripes (WHY they do that i'll never understand) on my father's BMW a few years ago...same principle, it left a line of gooey tree-sap like junk down the entire profile of the car...

all i did was damped a rag in Dawn dish detergent (which many detailers say is the safest way to remove 'stuff you don't want' from your paint)...buffed the crap by hand for a little bit, only to soften it a little...not to fully remove it...and then used a buffing bit (big yellow looking soft ball, not an abrasive wheel or anything) to put on a standard drill...applied a little Zymol cleaner wax to the ball...and ran it down the car...came right off in only a few passes...then buff the remaining wax off with a clean towel...

I'd assume that would work for this, too...would be a lot easier than doing it by hand, at least...and not one substance used is 'bad' for the paint underneath the moldings...

quickest, safest and easiest way to do this is what i have linked above... honestly... its like a 1 hour job absolutely tops using a caramel wheel.

rip the strips off... caramel wheel in drill... go nuts! wash the crap off, light hand polish (the caramel wheel will not scratch the paint). and your done!
its also just a matter of holding and moving a drill... meaning your hands don't get sore or dry from using solvents.

99% of body shops who know what they are doing will use these... the other 1% are just silly

Realized today that my car only had the moldings on the right side. I have had the car for a couple weeks now and I can't believe I never noticed it ha! Decided to just go ahead and do it without specific instructions, especially since I didn't want to go out to the store to pick up fishing line and a heat gun. If you do use dental floss, make sure you fold it a few times so it is stronger and doesn't rip constantly. I wound the floss around a screwdriver to prevent messing up my hand while pulling. Also, if you have a pressure washer USE IT! If you look at the second picture MizzMP5 posted there is a thick layer of the adhesive goo/tape left over. A pressure washer will take the bulk of that off no problem. After that just use a towel, goo gone and some elbow grease. Personally I am fairly picky about my paint so I didn't want to be scraping any of the goo off. The pressure washer helped preserve my paint and did the bulk of the work.

Lol yea it took me a good minute to remove the remaining adhesive off my car. I didn't want to scratch or scrap it off with anything bc I was worried about scrapping and messing up my paint. Once I figured out the better process, I did that and then it was done in no time. Good idea on the pressure washer tho! Never thought about that one. My hands/figures/arms all got a good workout tho from hand doing it all lol :)

Back