2002 Protege 5 won't start

P-Nutz37

:
Mazda Protege 5
My car worked fine all day but then at the end of the day it wouldn't start. It's a standard so some of the help responses I've read don't apply.

All the electrical works fine and the car cranks but just won't turn over. I have enough gas but the weird thing about it is my temperature gauge shoots up to the max. The car wasn't hot. I've checked my fluid levels etc and they're all fine. I'm wondering if this is most likely a computer issue (Fuse?) or if I've got other problems. This is the 1st time that it hasn't started (ever).

Anyone have similiar issues or that can offer any help. Any comments or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

What do you mean by cranks but doesn't turn over? Does the engine its self turn over and just won't fire up? Do you have fuel preassure. Does it have compression?

Yes it won't fire up. The engine does turn over though. To be honest I don't know if it has any compression or fuel pressure. It was running fine on my drive home until I did an errand (10minutes) then wouldn't start.

I'll have to look at it more tonight once I get home from work.

Thanks for the reply.

Very similar thing happened to me. Car drove great, parked it then came back and the car would not start. Found out that my timing belt tensioner spring got stretched and then the timing belt jumped a couple of teeth. Once I reset the timing everything was then OK car started right up. Just something to look at, hope this might help. Good luck.

if ur temp needle goes all the way up and then back down its ur main fuse. Its in the engine compartment a bit tricky to get out. Cheap @ the dealership. just take ur time tryna get it out if thats the case.

If the main fuse was bad would it turn over? Also unless your poor if your main fuse is bad they make a tool to pull them out

It could be a computer malfunction or something. I would try unhooking the negative battery cable for about 15 minutes and see if that works.

were u able to fix the problem my car just started to do that same issue with tem gauge and the car won't start what is the fix??

1st off thanks for everyone's help. Got it fixed but went on holidays etc..

The engine fuse was blown (the fuse box on the driver side by the pedals). There may have been a short on my wiring but we weren't able to find it. End result car starts and works great.

One thing my mechanic saw was that my check engine light wasn't on. That ended up being the hint we needed. All the other dash lights were on.

Lesson learned.

Back