Problem jerking in 1st gear when clutch catches.

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
I've been trying to search the forums, but I guess I'm not using the right key words because I can't seem to find any relevant threads.

I have a manual 02 protege ES with about 115,000 miles.

The problem:
Rev's are sporadic while in neutral.
When starting up in 1st gear, when the clutch catches, the revs drop and the car starts jerking.
If I keep the engine around 3500+ revs when shifting into 1st, it jerks less, but its still noticeable and there is still a huge drop in revs when the clutch catches.
In second gear, if I try to coast and don't give the car gas, it starts jerking (a lot) (and it gets worse as the revs get lower).

These problems aren't present in the higher gears.
Revving the engine up in neutral doesn't reveal any strange noises coming from the engine.
Listening to the engine run in neutral, all I can hear are the revs drop occasionally.

I can't hear any sucking or hissing noises, so I figure its not a vacuum leak.
I last cleaned the EGR valve + seafoamed for the 1st time @ about 95,000 miles (10k miles ago), and even then, the rev jumps were not as constant as this. When I cleaned it, the revs would drop maybe 100 revs in neutral every minute or so. Now, the revs are constantly moving +&-100.
When I bought the car at about 89k miles, the guy had just replaced the PCV valve.

The car has the original clutch, but I'm not sure if that would cause these problems?
When I go on the highway and floor it, the revs do not shoot up (which I was told should happen if the clutch is slipping)
There is a dark circle around the PCV valve, is that normal?

Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Last edited:
a lot of variables here. did this start suddenly or develop slowly? Have you scanned for any codes or see a check engine light?

My guess would be you have more than one problem. I would say check your intake tubing for cracks and the motor mounts could be bad causing the jerking. You could have gotten air in your clutch line as well check your brake fluid. Does the clutch pedal feel softer at all? Also when you take off in first on a cold start does the whole front end shake?

My P5 had about 140000 miles when I got it, and it was doing the jerking when coasting in second gear, and was jerking a bit when going into first. I replaced the clutch and some other things and now it rides like new. I can get you more details tomorrow hopefully, I don't have exactly the work that was done in front of me, I need to look at the receipts.

I took my car to jiffylube and as soon as I left my car had a similar problem, the car would jerk out of 1st. After I got home I searched around and found that they had cracked my air intake hose so badly to the point of being ripped open. I taped it until I could purchase a new hose, the jerking then stopped.

Check engine light can on a few days ago, but I haven't scanned the code.
I was having slight jerks in 1st gear when it caught for about the past month, but I just thought it was me being lazy with my foot and dropping the clutch too quick.
Then, suddenly, it got 100x worse.

Yes, I think the whole front end shakes, I can't seem to notice a difference between the cold start and being warmed up though. (then again, its summer and about 90 degrees out here so cold start isn't that cold).

I don't think the clutch petal feels any softer.

I'll try to inspect the hoses tomorrow, and it would be nice if you found out what else you had replaced other than your clutch when you brought it to the shop swag wagon.

Hopefully it's the intake hose. Costs $30 - $40 and takes 10 minutes to fix.

The intake hose is the accordion type hose, right?
There are some pretty big cracks/holes in it; would this cause all the problems I've been having?

Are these basically all the same, or is there a particularly good brand i should get?

Yes. The accordion looking one is the intake hose. I don't know if it's the cause of ALL your problems, but I know when my wife's was cracked, it triggered a CEL. Still drove fine I think - didn't ask her if it stumbled or not. There's not one brand that's better than the other IMO. When I purchased it, Amazon had them for $22 a piece. They're up to $33 now:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Yeah man, sounds like a combo of problems. I had the same issue with the jerking until I upgraded my motor & transmission mounts to AWR. The bad: mucho vibration at lower rpms (even without upgrading the mount against the firewall, which I have in the garage....but don't feel froggy enough for the install). The GREAT: noticeable increase of power to the wheels, enhanced brake performance and a stiffer front end.....I can look past the shaking I get at idle lol.

I haven't really experienced the clutch problem your describing on the Protege though......I prolley need to clean my egr valve myself though since I've never done it and my engine is pushing 200k miles haha.

Good luck man....let us know how it all turns out

Last edited:
woohoo!

100x better!
Replacing it took all of about 5 minutes, and it seems to have completely solved the issue.

Thinking back on it, I feel that the problem was:
launching in 1st gear made the engine shake a bit more (I should probably replace my motor mounts), and because it shook more, it caused the accordion-like intake hose to expand/contrast, thus exposing/pulling open the cracks in it. And boy, were there some pretty huge cracks in it. The hose literally broke in two as I pulled it off.

I drove it around the block, and its an amazing difference. Before, there was a huge loss of power as I tried to launch in 1st gear. It seems pretty solid right now.

I sure am glad it took 5 minutes and $30 to fix, as opposed to $1500 for the clutch !

Having been scared like this though, it makes me want to be a little conscious about how I treat my clutch... Usually I let it sit in the middle for a little while (half up off the floor, sort of where it engages at), and I've read that isn't good.. I usually only do it in 1st/2 gear when I'm sort of driving slow in a parking lot or in traffic.. I guess I should just get up to a speed then press back down on the clutch instead of letting it sit in the middle?

Nice man, glad to hear about the cheap fix! (nana)

woohoo!

... Usually I let it sit in the middle for a little while (half up off the floor, sort of where it engages at), and I've read that isn't good.. I usually only do it in 1st/2 gear when I'm sort of driving slow in a parking lot or in traffic.. I guess I should just get up to a speed then press back down on the clutch instead of letting it sit in the middle?

I've used this method of clutching for the past 80k miles :). There have been a lot of posts about how poor the clutch is on the P5's, but it's one of the components that I've been fully satisfied with. I wish I could say the same thing about my first transmissions 2nd gear shift gate....

Everyone's entitled to an opinion though......and the ability to drive a manual haha

F*** jiffylube

I just took my car into jiffylube for an oil change yesterday and had the same problem when i left. Hopefully my problem is the same as yours so i know its not my transmission, but thanks for posting this. I am just hoping people read our comments and don't go to jiffylube.

I took my car to jiffylube and as soon as I left my car had a similar problem, the car would jerk out of 1st. After I got home I searched around and found that they had cracked my air intake hose so badly to the point of being ripped open. I taped it until I could purchase a new hose, the jerking then stopped.

My clutch is old and I have a crack in my intake so it does the accordion thing if I rev too high, but if I just rev up to about 1k max and let it out ever so gently its a smooth take off, then every gear after that is smooth. I was thinking old engine mounts also but they are still good enough according to my local shop. 3500k for 1st gear take-off sounds like one hell of a way to burn your clutch out.

lol yea my intake is cracked in 2 places. Going to try electrical tape tomorrow morning.

Back