Cargo Boxes Attached to OEM Rack

fxpthl

Has anyone installed a Yakima or Thule type of cargo/luggage box to the standard Mazda luggage rack system? We are planning our annual travels and are thinking about at least renting on of these for the added space they give us.

Has anyone installed a Yakima or Thule type of cargo/luggage box to the standard Mazda luggage rack system? We are planning our annual travels and are thinking about at least renting on of these for the added space they give us.

We've been using our Thule 16 cf box for 5 yrs now for vacations and kids travel softball. We used the oem rails and crossbars on both cx9 (08&11)with no trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks jrtouraeg for your valued reply. I was on craigslis recently and found someone who will rent my a Thule box for a reasonable amount and I may just try renting it for our next road trip to Colorado, Montana and Washington states.

Here are some pics of our CX-9 with a Thule Evolution 1600 using the OEM Roof Rack.
IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

The rear hatch opens completely and does not touch the cargo box. It's a perfect fit for the CX-9. The cargo box takes 5 minutes to install. I've had the box for a long time now and it's pretty handy when we go to the beach. I just dump all the wet boogie boards, swimsuits, Sportbrella, fold-up chairs, and towels up there. Keeps my interior clean.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of our CX-9 with a Thule Evolution 1600 using the OEM Roof Rack.
IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

The rear hatch opens completely and does not touch the cargo box. It's a perfect fit for the CX-9. The cargo box takes 5 minutes to install. I've had the box for a long time now and it's pretty handy when we go to the beach. I just dump all the wet boogie boards, swimsuits, Sportbrella, fold-up chairs, and towels up there. Keeps my interior clean.

Hey, that's the exact same box we have. Only difference is our car is the white pearl color. As a matter of fact, when we traded in our 07 GT for the 11 GT, I transferred the roof rails and crossbars to the new car. So we've been using the same roof rails crossbars now for 4 years. More than just vacations but also weekly travel softball trips

I have a black Thule Ataltis 2200 mounted to my rails.. I dont have any pics, sorry.. But it looks good. You just need to move it forward enough so that the rear door can open without bumping the back of the box.

Craig

I have a Thule Ascent 1500 box. It is about 2" shorter than the box shown in the pics above. It's all black as opposed to the silver and black. It's attached to the factory crossbars and rails. Thule's attachment system in the box is very easy...no tools required...and is very secure to the rails. This particular box can be opened from either side which is convenient. It is very flimsy when opened, so don't let that fool you. It is extremely stable and rigid when locked closed. 800+ miles on a recent trip with no problems. Supposedly the weight limit for the factory crossbars and rails is 100 pounds. I'm pretty sure the box is rated at 110-120 pounds. With that in mind I loaded it with clothes and light stuff. The box holds 15 cu.ft.

I have a Thule Atlantis 1200 box. It just fits on the factory crossbars. The bars at their farthest apart are still pretty close together but most of the new Thule boxes have adjustable mounts. The rear hatch has just enough clearance to open completely without touching.

I have a black Thule Ataltis 2200 mounted to my rails.. I dont have any pics, sorry.. But it looks good. You just need to move it forward enough so that the rear door can open without bumping the back of the box.

Craig
Do you mean the Thule Atlantis 2100? I'm looking at this box because it's Thule's largest but am wondering how it would look/fit on the CX9.

Just bought a used Thule Atlantis 2100/688XT from craigslist and it will not allow the full opening of the tailgate with the factory crossbars, even slid as far to the front of the vehicle as possible....it is a huge capacity cargo carrier. I will likely go with replacing the factory crossbars (only) with the Thule Crossroads Aeroblade system to get more clearance(about 2 1/2" height) which will allow it to open further, and I believe with the ability to mount them either in place of the removed factory crossbars, or further "ahead" of where the factory ones slide to, I will be able to achieve what I want with tailgate operation. Will report back once I have it solved.

I use the Yakima bars to cross the factory roof rails. I put a Yakima Skybox 21 and a Rocket Box on my roof at the same time and the tailgate can come up all the way. I mount the Yakima bars more forward on the rails that the factory bars. This allows me the clearance.

Here are some pics of our CX-9 with a Thule Evolution 1600 using the OEM Roof Rack. ...
That's super clean looking. I'm concerned that the 2016 cross bars might be bent a bit higher. I would consider getting a box, but only if it fit closely to the roof like yours.

All things considered, I'd really like a cargo basket, but most of them look like they'd be suspended many inches above the roof. If I could figure a way to put the cross bars through a cargo basket (instead of having them below) I'd like that best because then I could just throw whatever I happened to have up there, surfboards, skis, bikes, duffel bags, whatever.

Koert- my Yakima skybox 16 sits about 1" above the factory antenna with factory crossbars if that helps. In fact, it's about as close as you can get with factory or aftermarket bars.

Update: I ended up buying the Thule Aeroblade Edge crossbars ((2) Part Number 7503 in Silver, with 4 lock cores) for use with the factory side rails, and uninstalled the factory crossbars for the time being. The removal of them wasn't hard at all and they can be put back on at any time. I ended up going with the Aeroblade Edge style so they could remain in place full time, replacing the factory crossbars, because of how they attach and look when installed. I have a pretty new drive thru car wash near me that we use every now and then and this style of bars allows me to go through there and not have to worry about them being ripped off. With them adjusted properly, the Atlantis 2100 fits well and I can fully lift the rear tailgate without interference. As added benefits, I have increased carrying load capacity with the Thule bars, and I have a further spread between the crossbars for weight distribution and side to side "stability" for cornering with load in the cargo carrier.

So now, for our trip to FL coming up in late summer, we'll be able to use our swing-away Thule Apex 4 bike carrier for our three bikes, the upper cargo box for our golf club bags and gear, and have plenty of room in the SUV's interior for our journey.

Will post pics when I can....

Koert- my Yakima skybox 16 sits about 1" above the factory antenna with factory crossbars if that helps. In fact, it's about as close as you can get with factory or aftermarket bars.
@TheSenator Hey did you install the Skybox 16 on a Cx5 or a CX9? I’ve got a 2013 CX5 and considering getting the skybox 16. Let me know, thanks!

Here’s my Mercedes roof box I used for the Mazda. It’s made by Thule.

Attachments

• 23DB0B12-5DCA-4393-9D49-2A06929E6A28.jpeg
    23DB0B12-5DCA-4393-9D49-2A06929E6A28.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 3FC39F5F-B641-4058-BB32-59B3956157C6.jpeg
    3FC39F5F-B641-4058-BB32-59B3956157C6.jpeg
    319 KB · Views: 121
  • B8228144-CFA1-4722-AC5A-13873F4714AF.jpeg
    B8228144-CFA1-4722-AC5A-13873F4714AF.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 125
I just got the Yakima Skybox 16 for my CX-5 and it’s a great fit with enough hatch clearance. The box is also long enough to carry skis up to 180cm.

Attachments

• 536A3CB9-93BE-4C24-89B7-338971CFE009.jpeg
    536A3CB9-93BE-4C24-89B7-338971CFE009.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 126
  • 3DFF091F-E169-4329-A3C3-8622D8CE717D.jpeg
    3DFF091F-E169-4329-A3C3-8622D8CE717D.jpeg
    438.2 KB · Views: 124
Back