Hesitation at throttle tip in?

Guvner

:
02 Midnight Blue MP5
Kinda hard to describe in the title, but I've had this issue since I got the car 2yrs ago and I need to know what it is. Every time drive way and go through the gears right after the gear change I get on the gas and there is a slight pause in acceleration and then wham it accelerates. Normally I would call it a hesitation, but its not. Its like half pwr, half pwr, half pwr....full power?? I changed the plug wires just to be sure it wasn't that, and no change, plugs are great, and the EGR is cleaned where ever it acts up.

Any ideas?

Did you try changing your coil packs? Could also try cleanin your maf sensor and throttle body along with changing your air filter

No codes, O2s i believe are original, but they must work, had e-test done today and passed easily.
Air filter is a K&N and was cleaned not long ago.
I'll check the MAF, but it shouldnt be dirty.

I was trying to get a feel for the problem you're describing when I was in traffic this morning... Could it be something as stupid as your clutch slipping?

What happens if you do this:
  • Get up to 3-3.5K RPM in second gear
  • Change to third gear and get off the clutch pedal
  • Wait a few seconds
  • Open the throttle all the way

Will it still hesitate or does it only happen during quick gear changes? Does "full power" come in at a certain RPM, or is it time-dependent?

I know the clutch is not the problem, there is no slippage at WOT and still lots of grab.

It basically happens when I go from off the throttle to throttle so gear changes are usually the time it happens. Also when I say clutch in to slow down for traffic, then engage again to accelerate, again the off throttle to on it.

I've always wondered if it had something to do with the VTSC or whatever its called, I know there are butterflies in the intake mani that open close so I wondered if maybe it was sticking or something like that.

EDIT: I should pay more attention to it and what rpm's it happens, i'll post up what I find.

Last edited:
If your VICS butterflies were temporarily getting stuck open that might cause the problem. But to get those butterflies to open you'd need to get the engine over 5250RPM (see page 01-03B-57 of the service manual).

Or it could be the VTCS butterflies getting stuck but they shouldn't be engaging if the engine is hot. One way to test both of these theories would be to unplug both the VICS and VCTS solenoids (they're both mounted next to each other on the left side of the engine near the cruise control actuator, one has a green plug, the other a white plug). Once you do that, play around with the rods connected to the vacuum actuators to make sure that both systems are in their default position (VICS butterflies closed, VTCS butterflies open).

The test mentioned above will give you a CEL for the VTCS system but it'll go away a couple drive cycles after you plug everything back in.

I tried to recreate my problem today while driving, but I couldn't. I'll keep trying.

Could be the the EGR acting up when cold?

i have an 03 with an auto tranny with the tiptronic, or whatever its called, shifting. whether or not i use the "tiptronic" shifting ill notice if it just shifted into gear and i try to floor it or anything close to it, i get the same problem. it feels like ur accelerating fine, u give it a lot of throttle, and then it hesitates and sounds "heavy", then u just take off. is this kinda what ur sayin? i feel u on the hard to explain part bc i cant explain it either lol

Back