Potential MSP Buyer

Sigma Sparad

:
Pontiac G8 GT
Hello everyone, newbie here. I figured I'd take to the online community to get a second opinion on what I'm considering as a future purchase. While moving my stuff between town to town, I found a black Mazdaspeed Protege with 161k on the clock at a beater lot in pristine condition. The only serious defects are a crack in the windshield and wear on the shift boot. After a test drive, I was genuinely impressed except for a bit of shaking when I stomped down in 4th, of which the car lot owner told me it was simply the turbo running (not so sure, since I've rode in nothing remotely similar to compare).

Think it would be worth 3800 on the road? ABS and Emergency brake light are on, and the parking brake will be needing the pads replaced. Under the hood looks clean and clear, and everything in the exhaust work looks okay as well, but any closer inspection is limited because the guy's not willing to let me take it off the lot to get a floor jack under it and a get a better look.

Thanks in advance. :)

I would not advise buying from anyone who will not let you have it inspected!! 3800 is a cheap price but high milage and stomping on it in 4th the turbo will not make the car shake!! ABS and Ebrake light may be from brake bleeding (believe me I know).
Just my 2cents for whatever it is worth!!

Rob

Shaking how? Sounds like bad motor mounts to me. You can see the passenger and drive side motor mounts without having to get under the car.

161k on the clock is high miles for a turbo car depending on hows owned it. The things I would look for is this, oil on and around the turbo. Open the radiator cap and see how clean the coolant is. I'd pull the dipstick and check out the oil.

The ABS light may just be a faulty sensor. I have mine on and I don't have any drivibility issues. Check to see the fluid level and go from there.

You can always take pics and post them up on here. We might be able to spot some things for you.

I'm with Rob, stay away given that pre-sale policy. They must be trying to hide something. Buyer Beware!

I'm planning to take it out for a second test drive tomorrow and have a nearby garage look it over one way or another. The mild shaking did seem like engine mounts (had a similar experience with my 88 Silverado after I dropped in a 454), but it wasn't something I had thought about until mentioned. I'll also get some pics under the hood. Everything looked to be in order, but as mentioned, there's a chance you guys may catch things that I overlooked.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

the shake is probably the s*** tune the car has mine "shakes" too sometimes violently.. couple things you need to know. not easy to mod not cheap to mod, weak motor, weaker tune. if you still want one after this good luck and represent well

Back