Continental ExtremeContact DWS 195/50ZR16's

denim

SSAudio.com
:
2003 Protege5 5-speed / 2005 RX-8 Skinka
co_xtrcontactdws_ci2_l.jpg

Just wanted to post and say after over a month of these on the P5, I think they are quite a good choice. This is not so much a review, but just a a positive suggestion for those looking for a great all around all season tire. Could be one of the best All-Season tires I have had regardless of vehicle. Road noise is very well controlled (I do have extensive sound deadening, but direct comparison of previous Falkens the difference is very noticeable), and ride is quite good for daily and long haul. Grip is more then what most P5 drivers need. I was debating between these and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. The price difference was enough, along with the very positive reviews, for me to lean towards my first set of Continental tires in ages. The tread pattern is not like a same old all-season or soft touring tire. They soak up the bumps and berms better then the Falkens, and the braking is still great.

Now, if you are looking for super grip, ultra high performance summer tires (drag or track), there are better choices. But there are 4 seasons here and I need all season tires. In hard, high speed corners, they do not grab as hard as the old Falkens (forgetting the model right now).

They are a little above the middle of the range price wise, but from my experience so far, they are well worth the money over the $60-$90 choices, and I think they would put up a good fight against the Michelins.

I just decided to purchase the same tire but i am having a hard time finding the OEM size. I just posted a thread asking about going to the next size up. where did you find these tires? I live in VA and the only place i found so far is tirerack but they have to come from denver as that is the only warehouse that has them and the freight chage is almost $90...still looking!

yes i realize that but I live in VA and the cost to ship from the only whse (nevada) that tirerack has these in is almost $90 so the delta for the larger size and closer shipping is less and i can get them in 2 days.

My girlfriend called around a few shops, and one shop way out in Harford County matched Tirerack. :)

i just got these tires too. have been using it for about a month. i thinks the sidewall are too soft. i had a kumho ASX. i wish i could go back, same grip, a bit noisier but only 70 bucks each. they last me 40k. and sideway hold a lot better

It does feel to have a soft side wall as the lean is more then the old Falkens, but the ride and the noise is a big improvement.

Good info, thanks all.
Been using OEM Dunlop SP5000's for a long time. Stiff sidewalls and exceptional cornering. Taken me through 6 WI winters. Our P5's aren't fast, but I get my thrills from go-cart cornering, so want the tight cornering. Unfortunately, Dunlop discontinued our size.

w/ Kumho ASX, also found sidewalls soft, too much cornering flex. Also poorer than Dunlops in snow.
Conti's were my next hope. Look great in most catagories, but sounds like they are soft in cornering. Too bad.

Kumho and Conti's are 84W as compared w/ Dunlop 83V. Stance is slightly wider on our rims. Wonder if that has something to do w/ it or just tire build.

Last edited:
Getting a set of Proxes 4 in a few days.
88V and "XL" after the size. The guy on the phone says that's good for cornering but didn't elaborate...
No complaints from the Ecsta ASXs(30k miles) but for a few $ more I wanted to try something else.

How are the Conti's with noise? I've got the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S's and they're so freakin' loud on concrete, which is what most of our freeways are made of. They handle well but I guess there's a trade-off.

I have these on some MSP wheels and they ride nicer than the Bridgestone Potenza Grid I had on before. The side walls are softer therefore better ride but lean a lot in turns. They are also better in the rain and much quieter.

Back