Noise while accelerating

planefreak

:
Mazda, Protege5
So yesterday (the first 70+ day we've had this year) I noticed that my car was making a strange noise.

It was doing it the worst when accelerating, and the harder the acceleration the louder it got. While doing a very light take off with the clutch it is still heard but very little. When it cooled down later I drove it and could just barely hear it.

At home I popped the hood and listened for it while revving the engine a little but couldn't identify it. I did hear a clicking coming from just over the transmission by the intake, and a very light noise from the timing belt, which was done 10k ago.

The noise sounds like it is metal hitting or rubbing on something else. The car still runs fine and seems normal.

The only thing that I can think of it is the clutch or one of the bearings associated. It chatters quite a lot and I know that it hasn't been done.

What do you guys think it is?

The clicking you heard may just be the valve train may not be the problem.possibly a motor mount? Can you post an audio clip or video

If I can get a good audio/video clip I will. I was thinking valve train or motor mount. It looks like the engine moves a lot while revving up to around 2k RPM. I should probably get the valves adjusted anyway. Its at 143 and I know the previous owner didn't do anything

Can't adjust our valves. Just check the clearences if they're out of spec get new shims. Also check you cv joint and wheel bearings they can make some weird noises.

I figured it out and now I feel silly. After the CEL light came on and I checked it out (P0171) I decided I had better check the MAF. As soon as I took off the hose I realized it had split almost in half. Anyway, a few dollars on some duct tape and 20 minutes later the cars runs great. I already ordered the new hose.

Back