3rd Row Seat Mod for Incremental Recline and Sliding Fore/Aft

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Been thinking about this even before I bought the car and wanted to see if its been discussed before moding the 3rd row seat to have incremental recline. From briefly looking at it, it looks like the lock plate has pre-cut groves that lock the seat in when fully upright. I wonder if you can add some additional groves to allow additional recline (Im pursing decline not sure if this is the right word). I want the 3rd row seats to be able to sit up/forewad just a tad in the event I need to load more cargo with passengers, or they can recline just a tad for comfort. Mod would cost nothing.

Also, anyone look into adding seat rails to allow the 3rd row to slide fore/aft? It looks like the 3rd row seats are mounted on a stationary bracket, and then mounted to the body on the sides. I wonder if you can replace the bracket for sliding seat rails. However, I could envision that the rear parcel shelf may get in the way but you may be able to get around it by raising the seat a little bit (less head room), which the rails will do. It would be great to have independent sliding seats but from briefly looking at it, it seems this cannot be easily done as there is no mounting point for the tracks in the middle.

Thoughts?

I think that a roof rack would solve your storage issues.

When you say that the rear seat is mounted to the body on the sides - what do you mean? My third row seat ('09 Sport) is mounted to the base of the Mazda5 with five 14mm bolts. I just removed it last night to do some heavy duty cleaning on them - one of my kids spilled a soda on the seat, it only takes about five or six minutes to remove.

I plan on a roof rack and box for trips/getaways but would not want the noise and MPG penalties in daily use. Plus, I'm more interested in making more space to fit my double stroller (it does fit now) and give the back passengers the ability to recline.

I meant to say the seat is not bolted down in the middle (space tire goes under) hence it will not be easy to make independent sliding seats.

Take the roof rack off when you aren't using it. On my Accord, I only put the roof rack on maybe once or twice a year.

As for the back seats - I can't think of a way to (1) separate them; then (2) put a sliding rail on one (or both) of the rear seats.

I like the recline idea but I've never taken out the back seat to see how the fold-down latch works. Do you have a picture?

I think that the seating for the back row is tight enough, I dont see how you would slide it forward and still have them be usable as seats. As for reclining them, I would be VERY concerned about anyone back there if you were rear ended, your head would practically be on the back glass already. I agree that you are better off with a roof rack for these occasional needs rather than modifying the 3rd row.

Not sure you if read my post but…
“(I’m pursing ‘decline’ –not sure if this is the right word). I want the 3rd row seats to be able to sit up/forward just a tad in the event I need to load more cargo with passengers,”

The middle two seats are spoken for and are moved all the way forward so there is a tad more room for the 3rd row, which is used very rarely. Seat decline is what I am really interested in. I have a spare seat w/ rails from my old Miata and would only look into sliding seats if I have time, which is rare and far in-between these days :(

I'm a little confused, who do you have in the middle row that will fit with the seats slid all the way forward? My 1.5yo is kicking my seat as it is with hers all the way back and mine all the way back, I'm 6'1". FWIW Incline is the word you are looking for. You want more incline for the 3rd row.

Our little ones feet stick straight out which is why they're feet are against the backs of the seats. I can sit in the 2nd row without it all the way back because I'm upright with bent knee and feet on the floor. I'm 5'11".

I'm only avg height and drive in a position that is comfortable and engaging to shift and drive so my seat is more upward and forward. This allows the middle seats to move up and there is more than enough space in the 3rd row. I can sit comfortable back there but just wish for a tad more trunk space. Nevertheless, my motivation is to mod the recline-incline.

Ahhh, incline - Doh! (Homer) (doh)

Last edited:
Back