P5 5th gear swap

If I remember correctly, 5th gear from a '88-'92 MX-6/626 non-turbo/'89-'92 Probe GL is a 0.700 gear. You'll need both gears under the 5th gear cover on the trans. I did the swap to my '94 Protege and will be doing it to my KL P5. My brother did the swap to his '88 MX-6 GT. It should work in any G-series transmission. The Festiva 5th gear is even taller but requires trimming of the case.

I swapped mine just by removing the splash shield and the 5th gear cover. You need a 27mm and 32mm socket or wrench for each shaft. You also need a punch to get a pin to release the gears/synchros. It's been FOREVER since I've raided junkyards for these gears but I've pulled a bunch of them. My '94 Protege's stock 5th is a 0.814 gear. Quite a nice difference!

Good to know. I will have to start shopping around.

According to an online reference, the stock protege 5th is a .755....so a .700 wouldnt be as huge of a difference.
Im going to try and find the diesel 5th gear, which is .680

guys, the tranny from the v6 (KL Engine) won't bolt up to the 2.0 (FS engine)
cars that use the same bellhousing are:
93-97 ford probe 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-97 mx-6 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-2002 mazda 626 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
2001-2003 mazda protege 2.0l

also, it is still possible to mess up the 626 tranny as my car has gone through 4 of those and 2 protege trannies two of them with LSDs.
so no, i don't agree when people say that the 626 tranny is stronger...it just has different gear rations making 5th gear a tad longer than the stock protege tranny.

So any of these 2.0 trannies will bolt right up? Are all of the gears taller or just fifth?

FYI, having visited junkyards 3 times in the past 3 weeks or so, there are lots of Probes, MX-6's, and 626's out there.

I wish I had the time and a little better facilities since I'd love to do this mod to cut down on highway cruising noise and add another MPG or so. Going to need a clutch in the spring, so would make sense to have it all done at once.

Has anyone looked into suppliers for just the parts (e.g., new) such as dealer part #'s etc?
i'm all for junkyard diving, but sometimes its nice to just get a new part handed to you.. .especially when we're talking about gears.

Has anyone looked into suppliers for just the parts (e.g., new) such as dealer part #'s etc?
i'm all for junkyard diving, but sometimes its nice to just get a new part handed to you.. .especially when we're talking about gears.

I haven't looked in awhile, but you may want to see this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Teardown-amp-Rebuild-w-LSD-amp-5th-Gear-Swap

Also, I believe there has been a thread on Ecomodder.com, but again I don't have time right now to dig thru it.

I do recall seeing some part #s. There was an online shop that had just the part as a turnkey kit, but last time I checked the link was no longer valid.

does anyone have part (mazda)numbers for the two gears required to swap into the p5 trans.i have called the dealer and they want a serial(vin) number before they will bother to look up the prices..probably easier to get the two gears new than hunt for a used trans at a wreacker..any info will help..thanks guys..and i might have a 2.0 ltr engine and 5sp manual trans for sale...thanks

^^protege VIN won't work because he is looking for parts that aren't from one.

does anyone have part (mazda)numbers for the two gears required to swap into the p5 trans.i have called the dealer and they want a serial(vin) number before they will bother to look up the prices..probably easier to get the two gears new than hunt for a used trans at a wreacker..any info will help..thanks guys..and i might have a 2.0 ltr engine and 5sp manual trans for sale...thanks

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Teardown-amp-Rebuild-w-LSD-amp-5th-Gear-Swap

look right at the bottom of the first post, you will find the 5th gear parts no's used from a 626/mx6. a good thread with good details if you ignore the rest of the teardown procedure as the 5th gear swap can be done without removing the tranny as he states in the thread.

So any of these 2.0 trannies will bolt right up? Are all of the gears taller or just fifth?

Has anyone just swapped their tranny out for a Probe, MX6, 626 tranny for taller gears? From the small amount of research I have done I am finding out that the gearing for 3rd, 4th, and 5th are taller on some of the other trannies. I really want to try to drop the RPM's at highway speeds (or more) and want to make a change as easy as possible. If another G series trans will bolt up that would be ideal.

Just switching out the 5th gear would be easier if all you're looking to do is get a taller 5th gear...it can be done without even pulling the tranny.

^^protege VIN won't work because he is looking for parts that aren't from one.

look right at the bottom of the first post, you will find the 5th gear parts no's used from a 626/mx6. a good thread with good details if you ignore the rest of the teardown procedure as the 5th gear swap can be done without removing the tranny as he states in the thread.

I'm confused. That's a good thread, but it refers to the second, thicker layer of gears in the end housing as fifth. What is the function of the outermost pair of gears under the end cap, since reverse is in the main case?

Just switching out the 5th gear would be easier if all you're looking to do is get a taller 5th gear...it can be done without even pulling the tranny.
Actually I wouldn't mind having taller 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. It would make for less shifting during in town driving. If I get a complete tranny I could just swap it, right?

I personally wouldn't want taller 3rd and 4th gears...I never cruise in those gears. They are gears I use when I am getting up to speed, and making them taller is going to hamper acceleration. My car (and our mods are surely different so this may not be the case for you) pulls really nicely in 3rd and 4th, and I wouldn't want to change that for maybe 1/2 mpg. Unless you spend an inordinate amount of time in 3rd and 4th, your fuel savings will be minimal.

I don't know about transmission compatibility (there's some stuff listed earlier in this thread). I haven't ever heard that some of the other transmissions have taller 3rd and 4th gears, but I haven't done the research either.

I was poking around on protegefaq.net. I only compared some numbers and I am not totaly sure of what I am looking at/for, so I am only speculating.

Has anyone just swapped their tranny out for a Probe, MX6, 626 tranny for taller gears? From the small amount of research I have done I am finding out that the gearing for 3rd, 4th, and 5th are taller on some of the other trannies. I really want to try to drop the RPM's at highway speeds (or more) and want to make a change as easy as possible. If another G series trans will bolt up that would be ideal.

Not in here a lot anymore, but just saw this. Look up the Malaysian guy with the turbocharged Ford Tierra. KasmanK, I think was his handle. They only sold the FS-DE there with the four-speed automatic, so when he turbocharged his car, he swapped the box out completely for a 626 box. Worked just fine for him. Gives you the longer fifth and a longer final drive, so all gears are effectively longer.

Back