Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Made in USA and Free Shipping on all orders shipped inside the US.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P5 5th gear swap

Protege5 (5-spd)

NSNs site was up for a long time before recently going down. Maybe the guy who ran it is still around and would have some of those 5th gears. I would love one myself!

Alpine Head Unit & Pioneer Speakers - MSP Radio Pocket - SLS Gauge Rings - Greddy Weighted Shift Knob - Momo EBrake
    35% Front, 25% Rear Tint - DDM 4300K HIDs - Wipac Fogs - Stoptech Pads - DRT Slotted Rotors - Optima Red Top
    NGK Long-Reach Plugs - 1.8L Coil Packs - Fiamm Low-Tone Horn - MP3 ECU -
    RR Racing UDP - Simota Twin Charger CAI - Magnaflow Cat-Back
    SLS Midpipe - Tsudo Header -
    Corksport Exhaust Hangers - AWR & RR Racing Inserts - Kartboy SS & Bushings - Sumitomo HTR+ 215/40/16

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

I'm gonna see about digging up a 626 tranny....I have a msp tranny I'm picking up this weekend to rebuild so.....yay me....something to keep busy on

yellow '02 p5: tokico hp struts/springs lowering kit, adr phantom 17" wheels, intake mani w/vtcs removed and PNPed, sigmota cai, medieval mounts all around, mp3 ecu, msp rear brakes, mz6 front brakes,SS brake lines,Short shifter/bushings installed
    myspace
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: me?
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: i habe big boobs

long time mazda owner d0sitmatr's Avatar

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Personally, I've always been of the opinion that the 626 transmission is sturdier... but... my 626 wasn't abused to hell like my Proty.

Still... my brother did play at the drag races with it, so it wasn't exactly babied. I never had problems with crunching synchros on the 626, and having the whole transmission, with the 5th gear ratio and final gear, allowed it to cruise at 200 km/h at some 1000 rpms less than in the newer. Given, the tires were a bit taller, but not by that much.
    I can pick up a 95 626 5spd trans for $125.0 no core chrge, do you know if its a straight bolt up for a 2k3 mp5 ?

Mazda b2200,rx7,626,pr5,and turbo'd mps

Quote Originally Posted by d0sitmatr View Post
    I can pick up a 95 626 5spd trans for $125.0 no core chrge, do you know if its a straight bolt up for a 2k3 mp5 ?
    Should fit.I have an mx-6 trans in my 2003 protege.I even put a trans in my 626 from a 95 ford probe
    87 mazda b2200-full air suspension,1.6 miata swap
    88 mazda rx7-full TII swap,sfac,apexi n1 duals,rb dp and presilencer
    09 CX-7 Grand touring, cs down pipe/stage 2 intake/BOV, h&r springs

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by msp5 View Post
    Should fit.I have an mx-6 trans in my 2003 protege.I even put a trans in my 626 from a 95 ford probe
    thank you for the answer, now another question, was your trans from the 6 or 4 cyl ?
    also, what are your hwy RPM ? (assuming hwy spd of 70mph)

Mazda b2200,rx7,626,pr5,and turbo'd mps

4 cyl only.Im running 3k at 70 mph with the mx-6 trans
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Protege5

thats much better than the 3400 Im running
    thanks for the info !

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

Bringing back from dead......which trans have the "gtx" gears?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Finally FORGED!!!!!!!! js_protege_03dx's Avatar

2003 mazda protege dx

^^^ like to know that as well! anyone know?

MODS:
    MSP ECU, ARP Head and Main Studs, FMIC, Vibrant j pipe back exhaust, Millinia PCV, Wiesco pistons and k1 rods, MSP mani, s pipe, turbo, ect... twm ss, Greddy Type RS BOV, 8:5:1 compression ratio, P&P head, 5 angle valve job, Comentic headgasket, custom sri, Ngk colder plugs and wires, CORKSPORT Exhaust hangers, Kartboy bushings, Halman's manuel boost controller, Doc B's oil system, AEM wideband uego a/f guage,Very Slow, Get beat buy Civics Prosport Boost guage, glow shift oil pressure gauge, Glow shift din pod, yudkib custom vac block, racing beat springs, SSAFC, 440cc Subaru wrx injectors, Mazda Speed shift knob and cup holders Thanks to ScratchnSniff!!!!

2002 Protege5 5spd

I was just wondering this same thing. I don't know much about re-gearing trannys, or anything about FWD for that matter. I have always had RWD cars and i know you could just re-gear the rear end differential. So NOOb question of the day is. Is there a FWD differential? and can it be re-geared? Like my Crown Vic was stock with 3.55s and i bumped it up to 3.73s for more low end but i was winding out at 75mph. So we dropped them down to 2.73s and it was a totally different car. So am I retarded and comparing apples to oranges or is this something that is possible.

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

Differential as far as i know can only be open or lsd.......either way still tearing down tranny

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

So whoch trannys has the gtx gears....ive heard possible probe and 626?

2003 Protege5

if the GTX gears are the short gearset, the MX3 supposedly has the shortest gearing of the H-series trans.
    but I dont know if its the same as the GTX or not.

on another note, Ive heard from several others that the 626/MX6/PGT V6 trans is swappable, you need to use the entire bellhousing, which is a straight bolt on. the only other thing you "might" need (no one agrees on it) is the shaft.

Finally FORGED!!!!!!!! js_protege_03dx's Avatar

2003 mazda protege dx

So if I swap out my tranny with one from the v6 626 its has the the gtx gears in it already or its just that much stronger than our shitty trans?

2003 Protege5

not sure if its stronger, it just has taller gearing so it drops your RPM significantly over stock.
    my MX6 LS (v6) would run around 2500-2600RPM @ 70mph, which is almost 1000 RPM drop over my P5 (3300-3400 @ 70mph)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast