P5 5th gear swap

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Hey guys, looking for info on options for swapping 5th gear on the 5spd tranny, G15M-R. Would love to get lower RPMs, not just for better mileage but quieter etc.
I know years ago NSN motorsports used to sell a replacement, can't find that anymore. I know it's just a swap from another Mazda/ford tranny but can't recall or find a source...

Thanks

Holy Moly, 14% drop is huge! I''d have to do the math, that might even be a bit too much. I'll have to watch the tach closely tomorrow to see what would be more ideal, but I'm thinking maybe 8-10% max.

Not long before I'll need new tires and will prob go slightly oversize. Problem there is, it will affect all gears, making it easier to accidentally box 2nd or 3rd etc.

Actually, after a little math, changing to .60 is only a 9.9% change relative to the .755, whats in there now. That may be pretty ideal. magic question is, where to get the gears?

626 5th gear is about the same. Willing to bet it'll be easier and cheaper than one from a diesel overseas

As far as I know, the NSN swap was simply a repackaged 626 5th gear.

Would be nice to get the whole 626 thing for a turbo car... because the 626 also had a longer final drive ratio. Don't know if it'll fit, though.

Silly me... forgot the Malaysian guy.

If I recall right, he was also on this board selling cam-gears.

He had a 300 whp turbo FS-DE, but since they didn't get the manual car in Malaysia, he sourced a 626 manual gearbox for his car. Yup... bolted right up.

Don't know how he did it... but it should mate up. A mate used a 626 block as a replacement block when a connecting rod poked a hole in his stock block.

OK so I've found a few writeups on doing the swap, but nothing on the specific parts needed.
Looks like I need a 5thgear out of a 626 - but I assume that really means 2 gears, right? The main input gear and the matching output gear?
Plus some RTV... anything else?
Now I just need to source those...

OK so I've found a few writeups on doing the swap, but nothing on the specific parts needed.
Looks like I need a 5thgear out of a 626 - but I assume that really means 2 gears, right? The main input gear and the matching output gear?
Plus some RTV... anything else?
Now I just need to source those...
I like this....I'm about to get a msp tranny as a spare to build for a quick swap....ild love a oil taller 5th....keep posted on this....time to go hunting myslef....so are the 626 gears any hardier? Will the LSD work with it too? Hell I might look into finding a whole tyranny and playing Frankenstein

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that the 626 transmission is sturdier... but... my 626 wasn't abused to hell like my Proty.

Still... my brother did play at the drag races with it, so it wasn't exactly babied. I never had problems with crunching synchros on the 626, and having the whole transmission, with the 5th gear ratio and final gear, allowed it to cruise at 200 km/h at some 1000 rpms less than in the newer. Given, the tires were a bit taller, but not by that much.

NSNs site was up for a long time before recently going down. Maybe the guy who ran it is still around and would have some of those 5th gears. I would love one myself!

I'm gonna see about digging up a 626 tranny....I have a msp tranny I'm picking up this weekend to rebuild so.....yay me....something to keep busy on

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that the 626 transmission is sturdier... but... my 626 wasn't abused to hell like my Proty.

Still... my brother did play at the drag races with it, so it wasn't exactly babied. I never had problems with crunching synchros on the 626, and having the whole transmission, with the 5th gear ratio and final gear, allowed it to cruise at 200 km/h at some 1000 rpms less than in the newer. Given, the tires were a bit taller, but not by that much.

I can pick up a 95 626 5spd trans for $125.0 no core chrge, do you know if its a straight bolt up for a 2k3 mp5 ?

I can pick up a 95 626 5spd trans for $125.0 no core chrge, do you know if its a straight bolt up for a 2k3 mp5 ?

Should fit.I have an mx-6 trans in my 2003 protege.I even put a trans in my 626 from a 95 ford probe

Should fit.I have an mx-6 trans in my 2003 protege.I even put a trans in my 626 from a 95 ford probe

thank you for the answer, now another question, was your trans from the 6 or 4 cyl ?
also, what are your hwy RPM ? (assuming hwy spd of 70mph)

Back