Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P5 5th gear swap

Huh? What?

'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)

P5 5th gear swap

Hey guys, looking for info on options for swapping 5th gear on the 5spd tranny, G15M-R. Would love to get lower RPMs, not just for better mileage but quieter etc.
    I know years ago NSN motorsports used to sell a replacement, can't find that anymore. I know it's just a swap from another Mazda/ford tranny but can't recall or find a source...

Thanks
    My weekend toy

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

See here the diesel tranny for Europe.

http://www.protegefaq.net/transmission.html#transused\

http://protege323.com/content/25_tra...ions/index.php

Looks like a change from .775 to .68 - about 14%

Note the RF(TDI) also has a quicker first gear to boot.

This might be a path for it.

You can oversize tires and get about 7% change, maximum.
    Last edited by RABID_MP5; 05-18-2011 at 01:04 AM.
    02 Protege5 - Vivid Yellow - 245K mi
    flywheel, clutch, UR pulley, Injen, OBX, MagnaFlow, Hella fogs, Pioneer head, sub, & 6x9s. On my 7th Mazda!

Huh? What?

Holy Moly, 14% drop is huge! I''d have to do the math, that might even be a bit too much. I'll have to watch the tach closely tomorrow to see what would be more ideal, but I'm thinking maybe 8-10% max.

Not long before I'll need new tires and will prob go slightly oversize. Problem there is, it will affect all gears, making it easier to accidentally box 2nd or 3rd etc.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Huh? What?

Actually, after a little math, changing to .60 is only a 9.9% change relative to the .755, whats in there now. That may be pretty ideal. magic question is, where to get the gears?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Protege Stance OG Protege03ak46's Avatar
    Donated: $1

aggressive auto culture

626 5th gear is about the same. Willing to bet it'll be easier and cheaper than one from a diesel overseas
    Build Thread!!!
    - Straights are for fast cars. Corners are for fast driver's-
    PM me for any installation questions, concerns, purchasing questions or anything else regarding aggressive auto culture!

Registered Member

As far as I know, the NSN swap was simply a repackaged 626 5th gear.

Would be nice to get the whole 626 thing for a turbo car... because the 626 also had a longer final drive ratio. Don't know if it'll fit, though.

Protege Stance OG Protege03ak46's Avatar
    Donated: $1

aggressive auto culture

It should as long as you get the fs version...

Registered Member

Silly me... forgot the Malaysian guy.

If I recall right, he was also on this board selling cam-gears.

He had a 300 whp turbo FS-DE, but since they didn't get the manual car in Malaysia, he sourced a 626 manual gearbox for his car. Yup... bolted right up.

2001 mazda protege mp3

So a 626 trans bolts right up? Do they use the same clutch and everything?

Registered Member

Don't know how he did it... but it should mate up. A mate used a 626 block as a replacement block when a connecting rod poked a hole in his stock block.

Huh? What?

OK so I've found a few writeups on doing the swap, but nothing on the specific parts needed.
    Looks like I need a 5thgear out of a 626 - but I assume that really means 2 gears, right? The main input gear and the matching output gear?
    Plus some RTV... anything else?
    Now I just need to source those...

'02 P5 Vivid Yellow

Quote Originally Posted by RatLabGuy View Post
    OK so I've found a few writeups on doing the swap, but nothing on the specific parts needed.
    Looks like I need a 5thgear out of a 626 - but I assume that really means 2 gears, right? The main input gear and the matching output gear?
    Plus some RTV... anything else?
    Now I just need to source those...
    I like this....I'm about to get a msp tranny as a spare to build for a quick swap....ild love a oil taller 5th....keep posted on this....time to go hunting myslef....so are the 626 gears any hardier? Will the LSD work with it too? Hell I might look into finding a whole tyranny and playing Frankenstein

yellow '02 p5: tokico hp struts/springs lowering kit, adr phantom 17" wheels, intake mani w/vtcs removed and PNPed, sigmota cai, medieval mounts all around, mp3 ecu, msp rear brakes, mz6 front brakes,SS brake lines,Short shifter/bushings installed
    myspace
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: me?
    Ally 好鍾意 大頭: i habe big boobs

Registered Member

Personally, I've always been of the opinion that the 626 transmission is sturdier... but... my 626 wasn't abused to hell like my Proty.

Still... my brother did play at the drag races with it, so it wasn't exactly babied. I never had problems with crunching synchros on the 626, and having the whole transmission, with the 5th gear ratio and final gear, allowed it to cruise at 200 km/h at some 1000 rpms less than in the newer. Given, the tires were a bit taller, but not by that much.

Registered Member

2002 Protege5

There may be another good deal here - changing the gears without pulling the tranny. I'd remembered hearing about this before. Anyone else know of it?

http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-mx6-gen...-5th-gear.html

Registered Member

The NSN / 626 5th gear swap can supposedly be done without pulling down the transmission.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast