P5 5th gear swap

I was just wondering this same thing. I don't know much about re-gearing trannys, or anything about FWD for that matter. I have always had RWD cars and i know you could just re-gear the rear end differential. So NOOb question of the day is. Is there a FWD differential? and can it be re-geared? Like my Crown Vic was stock with 3.55s and i bumped it up to 3.73s for more low end but i was winding out at 75mph. So we dropped them down to 2.73s and it was a totally different car. So am I retarded and comparing apples to oranges or is this something that is possible.

Differential as far as i know can only be open or lsd.......either way still tearing down tranny

if the GTX gears are the short gearset, the MX3 supposedly has the shortest gearing of the H-series trans.
but I dont know if its the same as the GTX or not.

on another note, Ive heard from several others that the 626/MX6/PGT V6 trans is swappable, you need to use the entire bellhousing, which is a straight bolt on. the only other thing you "might" need (no one agrees on it) is the shaft.

So if I swap out my tranny with one from the v6 626 its has the the gtx gears in it already or its just that much stronger than our bad trans?

not sure if its stronger, it just has taller gearing so it drops your RPM significantly over stock.
my MX6 LS (v6) would run around 2500-2600RPM @ 70mph, which is almost 1000 RPM drop over my P5 (3300-3400 @ 70mph)

yes, it can, but not sure if you want to go with that much of a jump in the gearing, especially if you need to downshift for any reason.

understood, tho it might be the easy route. Guess the better option is a good low-miles V6 tranny, esp if your P5 one is pooped. We need to pin down whether the shaft needs modded.

Also it begs the question of using a V6 clutch: can you and how would that compare?

if your using the V6 trans, then you def need to use the clutch for it.
as for a comparison, it feels the same (to me, at least) using stock clutches on both.

Im actually thinking of pulling the trans from my MX6, since its in need of being pulled and the clutch rebuilt. then seeing if it will bolt straight on and what sort of modifications might be necessary, if any. the only problem I can see is my MX6 is a 93, so not sure if that would make problems or not.
if I do pull it and it bolts up, then I'll do a write up while I go. but it wont be any time soon, that much is sure :)

guys, the tranny from the v6 (KL Engine) won't bolt up to the 2.0 (FS engine)
cars that use the same bellhousing are:
93-97 ford probe 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-97 mx-6 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-2002 mazda 626 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
2001-2003 mazda protege 2.0l

also, it is still possible to mess up the 626 tranny as my car has gone through 4 of those and 2 protege trannies two of them with LSDs.
so no, i don't agree when people say that the 626 tranny is stronger...it just has different gear rations making 5th gear a tad longer than the stock protege tranny.

guys, the tranny from the v6 (KL Engine) won't bolt up to the 2.0 (FS engine)
cars that use the same bellhousing are:
93-97 ford probe 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-97 mx-6 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
93-2002 mazda 626 2.0l (won't accept the MSP LSD Differential wihtout modifications)
2001-2003 mazda protege 2.0l

also, it is still possible to mess up the 626 tranny as my car has gone through 4 of those and 2 protege trannies two of them with LSDs.
so no, i don't agree when people say that the 626 tranny is stronger...it just has different gear rations making 5th gear a tad longer than the stock protege tranny.

But will the 5th gear from the kl fit inside of our trans?

i dont know,
don't think so.
both trannies are different
you need to stay on the 2.0l engine
the v6 is different

Alejo, people on the probe forums are swapping the V6 trans to the 2.0L engine after its been boosted.
how much modification is involved, I cannot say.

their isnt a lot different between the 2 engines except 2 extra cylinders. :)

If I remember correctly, 5th gear from a '88-'92 MX-6/626 non-turbo/'89-'92 Probe GL is a 0.700 gear. You'll need both gears under the 5th gear cover on the trans. I did the swap to my '94 Protege and will be doing it to my KL P5. My brother did the swap to his '88 MX-6 GT. It should work in any G-series transmission. The Festiva 5th gear is even taller but requires trimming of the case.

I swapped mine just by removing the splash shield and the 5th gear cover. You need a 27mm and 32mm socket or wrench for each shaft. You also need a punch to get a pin to release the gears/synchros. It's been FOREVER since I've raided junkyards for these gears but I've pulled a bunch of them. My '94 Protege's stock 5th is a 0.814 gear. Quite a nice difference!

Back