Mazda Develops Highly Efficient "SKYACTIV-G 1.3" Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine

Interesting to see so much technology crammed into such a small displacement piston engine. Peak 84 bhp while still capable of up to 70 MPG (if this metric conversion is correct) is an astonishing achievement for this little I4. My first car (93 Ford Festiva) had a Mazda B3 1.3l I4 engine the produced 65hp and with the 5MT got about 45 MPG, so this is considerable progress.

I'm sure the SkyDrive-G 1.3 + CVT will appeal to folks interested in cars optimized for efficiency. It should be interesting to see whether the Mazda2 1.5l 5MT or the Mazda2 SkyDrive-G 1.3l CVT is faster off the line or from a rolling 65mph start.

Last edited:
Mazda Shows New 1.3-Liter Four-Cylinder, Gets 70.5 MPG in Japanese Mazda2

2012-1-3-skyactiv-g-engine-623x389.jpg

Earlier this year at the New York auto show, Mazda unveiled its 2012 Mazda3 with a new 2.0-liter inline-four cylinder engine featuring its SkyActiv technology. The new tech ekes out every last bit of efficiency from the four-cylinder, and the automaker is now expanding the engine lineup with a 1.3-liter version for the subcompact Mazda2 hatchback.

The new 1.3-liter uses increased compression, along with reduced internal friction, to increase fuel efficiency. A compression ratio of 14.0:1, direct fuel injection, and multi-hole fuel injectors (designed too prevent engine knocking) allow Mazda to achieve the highest possible efficiency out of a traditional internal-combustion, gas-powered engine. The new engine is rated at 83 hp and 83 lb-ft of torque for the Japanese-market Demio (known elsewhere as the Mazda2), and is mated withMazdas i-Stop start-stop system (which wont be ported to the U.S. for quite some time, if at all). Presently, Mazda says the system, when bundled with a continuously variable transmission, returns nearly 70.5 mpg combined on the Japanese 10-15 testing cycle.

While we dont have estimates for the U.S.-spec engine (or even confirmation of when such an engine may arrive in our market), thats a far cry from the current U.S.-spec Mazda2. Presently, the 2011 Mazda 2 is rated at 27/33 mpg (city/highway) when fitted with a 1.5-liter I-4 and a four-speed automatic. That said, output from the SkyActiv-G 1.3-liter is down 17 hp and 11 lb-ft when compared to the current 1.5-liter engine.

Were still awaiting confirmation from Mazda, but we wouldnt be surprised to see this engine or perhaps a slightly different SkyActiv-G offering make its way into Mazda2s sent to North America in the very near future.

[MotorTrend]

Back