Oily substance in coolant reservoir!

fxpthl

OK kids, I just checked under the hood and, once again, noticed an oily substance inside! Over the past several months I have had to change all of the hoses and I am concerned that the engine may have overheated to the point where a head gasket has been blown or worse yet, a cracked block! I do have to add a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so with very little spotting on the garage floor. The car has just over 168K miles and I have little to no history of it's care and maintenance. This is my "mid-life crisis" car and I had hoped that I wouldn't have major issues like this but I guess you get what you pay for nowadays. Any similar experiences of this issue would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pop the head and replace that gasket and see what everything looks like....better than nothing....plus you'll bee able to see what things look like.....

Thanks bgibb68 but I am not going to get even close to a wrench on that task! I think what you are suggesting is that I might just have a head gasket issue after all and that I better save up some big coinage for the repair! Of course there is always "Plan B".....just drive it carefully for awhile longer and keep checking all of the fluid levels so nothing runs out,dry,etc.

does your oil look like a milk shake at all? are you currently experiencing any over heating? Is the car eating any coolant?

Nope, oil shows no sign of water. No everheating. Coolant tank does have the "milk shake" looking residue in the lower part of tank. Once engine gets warmed up, there is an obvious "spark knock" upon excelleration. I do have to add a quart about every 750 to 1000 miles. thanks for your interest Shadow102.

Forget about a re-builder! Folks nowadays simply put in a used engine instead! That is what I have decided to do anyway and hope it turns out as good as the mechanic assures me it will.

Last edited:
Update on my 97 blown engine: found a great independant auto shop who pulled out the fried original motor and installed a slightly newer year 1.8 engine into my little car and she is running great again! Before the install the mechanic changed the water pump, timing belt, all hoses, belts and mail oil seal. The clutch was good as were the exhaust from the header back. He also did a few other odd items and we got her back in under two weeks. I am very pleased so far and look forward to putting lots of miles driving the twisties!

Just as an update on my "used" engine replacement, I have put over 1000 miles on it since installed and it is running very very well. So glad I spent the tokens to do this and just know that my little two seater is going to be a real joy for years to come.

Last edited:
Back