Turbo tutorial??

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege ES
Ok, used search but didn't immediately see anything.

I'm looking at turbocharging my 2002 ES and wanted to educate myself about the various turbos out there that make sense for our cars. Can anyone recommend a good thread here on the forum or an external resource?

Specifically, trying to figure out the pros/cons of using a GT28xx versus a hybrid T3/T4 -- to be honest, I have no idea the difference between those two or really what a "hybrid" is/does and why it's better/worse. The only thing I THINK I remember reading is that the GT series are not re-buildable?

Also, do multiple manufacturers make a T3/T4 or are they all made by the same company? The pricing on the web seemed to be all over the place?

Lastly, when it comes to manifolds, I'm under the impression that basically most are built with a flange to attach to either a T3/T4 set up or a GT set up. Is this correct?

It all depends on what you want from the car.

Basically, the difference between these 2 turbos you listed is size and flow. The GT28 is a small turbo, good for quick response and power. A hybrid T3/T4 is a bigger turbo and will flow more air at the cost of response.

A normal T3 turbo, say 48/60 trims (normally found on Volvos, Saabs, etc) will do the work just fine for a stock engine and will have good response and a nice flow characteristics.

I have tested the garrett t3 60trim, t3/t4 hybrid garretts and china turbos, wrx and sti's turbos, T28 and the gt28rs.

If you are worried about the feel and performance, the smaller turbo will tend to make you feel the car jumps or spin the tires (quick acceleration, quick max boost). While the big turbo will be less responsive (longer wait time for max boost; aka. lag) but more power @ high rpms (more aggresive).

If I would have to choose a turbo, I would do the hybrid t3/t4 with a 50trim on the compressor side (not 57trim) and a stage 3 wheel with 63 A/R on the exhaust, this turbo can do 30psi on the FSDE engine.

Ok, used search but didn't immediately see anything.

I'm looking at turbocharging my 2002 ES and wanted to educate myself about the various turbos out there that make sense for our cars. Can anyone recommend a good thread here on the forum or an external resource?

Specifically, trying to figure out the pros/cons of using a GT28xx versus a hybrid T3/T4 -- to be honest, I have no idea the difference between those two or really what a "hybrid" is/does and why it's better/worse. The only thing I THINK I remember reading is that the GT series are not re-buildable?

Also, do multiple manufacturers make a T3/T4 or are they all made by the same company? The pricing on the web seemed to be all over the place?

Lastly, when it comes to manifolds, I'm under the impression that basically most are built with a flange to attach to either a T3/T4 set up or a GT set up. Is this correct?

Wow, great response igdrasil, much appreciated. Right now the car is a daily driver, so I'd likely be more interested in the gt28xx series, however, the medium term plan is to turn this into a "for fun" or track car, so perhaps the T3/T4 hybrid is more in order. Also, I'm thinking that perhaps the delayed responsiveness of the T3/T4 might actually make day-to-day driving a little easier to modulate.

I have a potential path to buying these turbos (at a discount) directly from Garrett, so given your specs for the T4/T3 hybrid, I may very well pull the trigger.

Last thought / question, I think I remember reading that the gt28xx series requires additional plumbing or cooling of some sort . . . or am I mistaken?

Back