Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

old brakes...

Screenshot2011-06-09at32218PM.png

New brakes....

Screenshot2011-06-09at32240PM.png

gonna paint them red at some point...just need them to be functional asap

finished the rears today!!!...may have a solution to the e-brake problem too!!! :) i'll address that tomorrow and post pics and such

this is the passengers side. 1st unhook all the brackets that hold the e-brake line in place...then you can just re-route the line so it's long enough (these are the stock p5 lines)

in front of the gas tank
Screenshot2011-06-16at111237AM.png

the back of the gas tank

Screenshot2011-06-16at111254AM.png

Screenshot2011-06-16at111313AM.png

the zip ties were only temporary, you can reuse the old brackets on different places to hold the line in place

Screenshot2011-06-16at111333AM.png

I need to find a set of those brackets...the ones I made work but it I was having trouble with slack in the lines. The caliper would clamp, but not enough to hold the car. I assume you tested it, but can you confirm?

havent tested it yet..still waiting on a left front hub so that I can finish everything...just throwing what we did out there to get opinions

am i correct in my observation? or is it a trick on my eyes from the angle of the picture?

bled the brakes today..pedal is firm and the e-brake works! it was the angle

I was missing two little wire things that go on the front brakes (see pic) does anyone know if the front ones are the same as the ones that go on the rear brakes?

Screenshot2011-06-21at75015PM.png

Last edited:
im not sure but i know i was able to get the front ones from autozone so i would imagine you could get the rear ones as well

you dont "REALLY" need the spring clips. they are only for secondary squeal prevention. if you drive around and the pads don't queal, you'll be just fine.

glas to hear the swap worked out! i'm going to seriously consider this when its time to do my rear brakes. did you swap the rear brake hoses?

Bump for awesome info. What about using speed bleeders for the rear calipers? They have a valve in them that won't let air in, only fluid out. I know it's a little late but this thread still has good info for future use.

I'm swapping calipers (F/R) soon too. I've heard a lot of people mention the Mazda 929 master cylinder swap as well. What are the benefits of that? Shorter pedal travel?

Bump for awesome info. What about using speed bleeders for the rear calipers? They have a valve in them that won't let air in, only fluid out. I know it's a little late but this thread still has good info for future use.

I'm swapping calipers (F/R) soon too. I've heard a lot of people mention the Mazda 929 master cylinder swap as well. What are the benefits of that? Shorter pedal travel?

i tried speed bleeders, but the only thing that would work to make the brakes functional is gravity bleeding. I'd be interested in the 929 master cylinder swap as well if it made shorter pedal travel. the 6 brakes are boss, but you have to get into the pedal a little bit first

Back