Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

So the msp rear brakes are the same size as the mazda 6? What about the mazdaspeed 6 brakes? Will they fit or no? I'm really not happy with the stopping power but I'm pretty sure my rear brake situation doesn't help any. Would I be better off going with the mazda 6 or msp rear brakes?

Correct, but the calipers are different. Mazdaspeed6 brakes fit too, they are even larger than the 2006+ brakes, too big IMO unless you are just looking to fill up the wheel, have too much money, or are in need of something bigger from a motorsports standpoint.

That's your call, currently there is no workaround for the ebrake issue, thus, unless you're crafty the MZ6 setup would leave you without an ebrake. I actually started welding up some adapter brackets tonight we'll see how it goes. MSP rear calipers/rotors would work just fine if you can find a set, but they can be pricey. The only real reason to go with the Mazda6 setup is the save cost and have calipers that are a little more popular; the rear caliper on the MSP was only used on the MSP. I believe there may be better pad options for the mazda6 setup as well.

headin to a junkyard this week to pick up some calipers (may see if i can snag mz6 rims too) thanks to forzwin for all the great info!

I would be VERY jealous if you came home with MZ6 wheels, I've been trying to find a set for cheap.

Do you guys think that it will work in a 4-Lug taking the front disks to a machine shop?

Sure, I don't believe there is any difference in the backspacing. Are you really going to have your rotors re-drilled everytime they need replacement? I mean, I guess that is cheaper that buying new wheels and such. BTW, LOVE your car! I've always loved that color and it looks great with the MSP bodywork. :D

Last edited:
A few years ago i ordered a 'big brake' kit from Ken at protegegarage.com. They no longer offer the kit as far as I can tell, but this is what it came with (and at the time for around $400 total)...

front brakes;
- mazda 626 front calipers from 2000 to 2002 2.5 V6 model
- mazdaspeed protege front brake pads (also 626 2.5 v6 pads will work)
- mazda 626 front rotors from 2000 to 2002 2.5 V6 model (also MSP rotors will work)

rear brakes;
- mazdaspeed protege calipers
- mazda6 rear rotors, all trim levels the same 2003 to 2007
- mazda6 rear pads, all trim levels the same 2003 to 2007 (supposedly rear pads from a 1995 RX-7 will fit as well

That is directly from Ken through a pm when i asked what pads/rotors I needed to buy for replacement. I never measured everything, but his claims of what pads and rotors holds as just recently replaced everything but the calipers. I had the same problem many mentioned; seized the stock protege 5 rear caliper, and just figured on replacing everything anyway because the price was so good. I'm noticing some saying the Mazda 6 up until 2007 used the same rear brake calipers as a Mazdaspeed protege. The other thing though is that I did not need to adjust the brake cable in any form for this modification. It does take 2 or so more clicks on the handle than it did with the stock rear brakes, but the car is completely locked way before the handle is completely pulled...at least when the pads were in good shape...

I never really pushed the stock brakes, so I can't remember how they compared to this setup...but anyone could easily source these parts...and the braking is ridiculous when you need it...

EDIT: ok so some of you are saying the MSP calipers ARE different than a Mazda6?...but pads from a mazda6 will work?...Mazda 6 rear brake pads from a 2005 V6 dropped right in to MSP rear calipers...literally yesterday...

Last edited:
Sure, I don't believe there is any difference in the backspacing. Are you really going to have your rotors re-drilled everytime they need replacement? I mean, I guess that is cheaper that buying new wheels and such. BTW, LOVE your car! I've always loved that color and it looks great with the MSP bodywork. :D

I spent almost 3,000$ in wheels and tires this past month so is late to do a 5lug swap. I really want to do this upgrade. A friend of mine has a machine shop so drilling the discs every time a new set is mounted will not be a problem...

Thanks. I love the color tooo. My baby was on the trailer when I was on dealership and was the only one on that color. Hehehe. She was waiting for me!!!

@ Installshield 2: Good stuff about the mazda6 rear pads being compatible in the msp! The 626 front calipers that PG sold you are the same as the MSP calipers. The MSP rear caliper is a bolt on affair, but they can be harder to find now and typically are pricey. The emergency brake lever on the mz6 caliper is completely different as it pulls up/down where as the msp caliper is in/out. Because of this you will need to get crafty with the brake lines. As of right now its looking like more trouble than its worth for most. For me though, I have $40 invested in both rear calipers, if I need to make an adapter bracket, and extend some cables, so be it.

is the mazda 6 e brake cable longer than ours? i believe ours is a 2 piece design it shouldnt be too hard to connect them if both of them are 2 piece unless the mazda 6 uses way longer. i think im gona wait for somebody else to do a write up so i atleast know what problems im going to run into.

The mazda6 cables are actually shorter by almost an inch, but more flexible at the ends. The P5 cables have a 3in metal sleeve that make it tough for them to articulate to the desired bend. The ebrake system is made of 3 parts on both cars, 1 cable per side and then there is a seperate cable adapter that connects both cables to the emergency brake cable; I'll try and get some better pics tonight. For now, I'm looking at making new cable brackets for both calipers and extending the cable where it meets the shifter. Should have it finished up in the next couple of days. And will keep you guys posted.

picked up mz6 front and rear calipers from a junk yard $160 total....forzwin you are awesome! that site you offered saved me $240! haha

next steps are paint these red and get some drilled & slotted rotors!

Screenshot2011-05-16at115024AM.png

Oh snap! They even gave you the brackets? Mine didn't come with the e-brake brackets so I'm having to make my own. What year mz6 did they come off of? I should have my brackets finished tonight. Why the cross-drilled/slotted rotors?

Last edited:
Oh snap! They even gave you the brackets? Mine didn't come with the e-brake brackets so I'm having to make my own. What year mz6 did they come off of? I should have my brackets finished tonight. Why the cross-drilled/slotted rotors?

from a 2008...and drilled & slotted cause I think they look cool B^) had a lot of stress lately and I want something neat haha

Sweet, did they sell the ebrake cables too? You may not need them but I found them to be more flexible than my current lines. I'll let you know tonight.

I'm gonna try to fit the p5 cable before I buy the mazda6 one

got 3 out of 4 rotors from rock auto...they didn't have one of the rears :/ ...im just gonna go back to the junk yard and get a stock one to use until they have the one I need in stock again

**edit**

got the other rotor from autopart warehouse...I now have all calipers, and will hopefully recieve all 4 rotors this week

Last edited:
I got brake pads & fluid today...so I have everything I need except 3 of the rotors, which should come today. For some reason, one of them got here in 2 days lol

Actually the SPEED6 Caliper go on the P5 awesome and you dont really get any problem that what i run on my protege and they look awesome

soooooo just figured out that my new wheel bearing failed and toasted the hub...at least I can do it while I'm doing the brakes :/

@ Installshield 2: Good stuff about the mazda6 rear pads being compatible in the msp! The 626 front calipers that PG sold you are the same as the MSP calipers. The MSP rear caliper is a bolt on affair, but they can be harder to find now and typically are pricey. The emergency brake lever on the mz6 caliper is completely different as it pulls up/down where as the msp caliper is in/out. Because of this you will need to get crafty with the brake lines. As of right now its looking like more trouble than its worth for most. For me though, I have $40 invested in both rear calipers, if I need to make an adapter bracket, and extend some cables, so be it.

Oh ok...Yeah then that would need some modification...The only difference i noticed with MSP and stock P5 rear calipers was them being a little bigger, and also needing one of those little discs to turn the pistons in...rather than the stock rear calipers having an allen screw in the back to pull the piston in (that is actually what seized and ruined the stock caliper in the first place)...

but pad wise, the MSP rear calipers will clamp Mazda 6 V6 pads with no trouble...

Back