Permatex gasket sealant for head gasket?

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
Anyone ever used this stuff before? http://www.permatex.com/products/au...r_Spray-A-Gasket_Hi-Temp_Adhesive_Sealant.htm

A buddy at work recommended it when using with a MLS head gasket, since they are less tolerant to irregularities in surface roughness at mating surfaces. I know head gaskets universally say not to use any kind of sealant or gasket compound, but Permatex is about as a reputable as you can get in that department, and it specifically says it's for use on head gaskets.

Last edited:
I worked in a custom engine shop for 5 years. You DONT use anything on a multi-layer steel head gasket. They usually have a black coating (as seen on Cometic's) on them for that purpose. Note that both head and block surface must be clean, flat and true... preferably milled. Most of the time if you use another sealer, it may actually cause problems with sealing.

Whoops, I just realized I completely failed at pasting that link. But the more I read, the more I agree with you... it sounds like that stuff is designed for more basic steel gaskets without the integral sealants that a lot of newer gaskets have.

Back