Scoop from Japan on the next Rotary Mazda (RX-9?)

Antoine

Administrator
Word on the street (and in the Japanese car scoop magazines) is the following:

• Mazda is currently focusing on developing the next generation Miata / MX-5 / Roadster platform and once that is set, that platform will be used as the basis for the "RX-9"

• Like the next generation Miata / MX-5 / Roadster, the "RX-9" will be light and compact

• The "RX-9" will be powered by a Rotary engine paired with an Electric Range Extender / Power Assist system

• The "RX-9" will most likely be a two-door unlike the current RX-8

• The RX-8 will most likely be discontinued

• Future Rotary Powered Mazdas will be more compact in size

• Apparently the only part Mazda is using from its Hybrid Technology license deal with Toyota is a "Module" and Mazda is developing its own Electric Motor and Controller...Eventually, Mazda plans to wholly develop its own complete Hybrid System

• Due to the nature of the Rotary Engine (less moving parts, size, weight, power potential etc), creating a "High-Power" Rotary Hybrid system should be easily achievable for Mazda

• It should be possible to run on electric-only power or rotary / gas power or BOTH with the Rotary Hybrid system

• A Hydrogen Rotary is NOT in the short to mid-term plans due to the lack of established infrastructure among other current obstacles

• The "RX-9" could be lighter than the current RX-8

• The ideal characteristics for the next generation Rotary Mazda (aka "RX-9") are Light, Compact and Powerful (with plenty of torque)

• While Mazda's "SKYACTIV" technology is currently in the spotlight, next in line will be Mazda's next generation Rotary technology and the "RX-9"

• We might see Mazda's next Rotary-Powered sports car (aka "RX-9") appear as a 2015 year model..?
Note the above information is based on a variety of sources and not confirmed, but it definitely makes sense...If anyone has additional information, please post...Thanks!

I have not heard anything more than this from those I know but I will say that I am looking forward to see what this version has to offer. I am hoping that this generation will go back to what the RX-7 was. Really miss that car.

Unfortunately it sounds like the rx-9 is going to be pushed back. It is unfortunate that the 9 wont have much in common with the 7, and that it is going to be a few years down the line. Also that electric range extender, they should just stop fiddling around, man up, and put a real forced induction system on it. That is just my opinion though.

With CAFE and other imposing regulations Mazda like every automaker needs to bring up their corporate average fuel economy. This includes the next RX rotary car. While I don't mind the electric assist, I don't want a rotary car that can go to electric only. A Mild-Hybrid design would be perfect as long as the manual transmission has soul to it and they keep the weight can stay down, it'll be fine.

I am most concerned about the 0-60 time and the high revs, with the "longer stroke" 16x (if they even still plan on using it) im assuming the rpm range will decrease, but the electric might not bold well, but then again, idk. How exactly does a range extender work? All I could find were how a range extender uses an engine to power the electric current in an all electric car.

Back