2002 Protege5 rough idle and chirping sound out of exhaust???

trextroy

:
Mazda Protege5 2002
My high mile protege5 has a very rough idle and a chirping sound coming from the tailpipe on idle. I have changed the plugs, ignition coils, removed and cleaned the egr valve. Any ideas? When I idle the motor shakes more than normal and when I put in gear and start to accelerate it sounds like a miss or air escaping from engine somewhere (i am just describing sound i know air is not escaping, almost like exhaust leak up front). It only makes that sound when in gear not at idle or rev while idling. I am stumped.

Thanks.

Engine light did come on before I cleaned the egr valve but is not on now. The car did seem to idle smoother for about a minute after I put cleaned egr valve back in.

upper or lower sensor? What the heck would the chirping sound be coming out tailpipe? It is not the exhaust rattling, scraping or anything like that. It definately sounds like it is coming all the way through the exhaust from engine area and out tailpipe.

Rough idle could be IAC valve needing cleaning too if it wasn't done when doing EGR. The chirping out the exhaust? New one, haven't heard that one before.

It's not like a metallic sound is it? I fried an o2 sensor and it broke internally and made a high pitch sound you could always call chirping when it vibrated

Back