Problem filling gas tank

golftango

:
2009 Mazda5 GT
Just bought the 5 last week and I went to fill it up for the first time and I'm having an issue. First gas station I hit one gallon and the gas poured out. Couldn't get more than a gallon and half in. I chalked it up to the pump, but the second station was the same. Took a long time to fill it.

Secondly, there is no gas cap tether/holder?

Fun times. Mine does it unless I pull the nozzle back and let it rest in a position that is further "out" than "in". If you push it all the way where the end is pointing into the side of the filler, it will stop over and over. Many people have seen me very pissed off at random gas stations trying to wash the crap off the side of my car.

chacoil canister is plugged, the tank dosnt vent when the gas goes in... it bubbles back to the nozzle and makes it click or burps ou the gas. did the same on one of my p5. by-passed the charcoil canister and bingo. but i ended up with a CEL but i dont care.

There was a tether on the '09. I guess that the door *may* be meant to be a holder for the gas cap, but it doesn't work well.

In practice, I just let my gas cap dangle on the tether when I'm filling up.

You paid for that?

Yeah, why? To diagnosis it was $94 anyway, so what is another $125? Part alone was $173, so $46 to install it seems like a deal to me.

Besides, I just purchased it, so it is under dealer warranty. I'm getting reimbursed (dealer is in MA).

Last edited:
That's why I asked - because of warranty.

So the EVAP pump was bad and causing this problem? Did you have a CEL?

My wife's 5 just started having a problem fueling at 142k miles. It indicated empty but when she went to fill the tank it would only take 10 gallons. How can I test the EVAP pump?

Back