Coolant leaking, help!!

puhtar

:
Mazda3 Hatchback 2004 2.3L
My coolant is leaking somewhere whenever i turn off my mazda 3 2004 hatchback 2.4L. I changed the thermostat today thinking it would fix it but it didn't. There is no check engine light or anything and i really dont think the engine is overheating.

What could be the problem?

check your radiator all around the base of it and at the top. There may be a small hole. Also check all of your coolant lines. They can crack and with a 2004 that might be a possibility. Also check your overflow tank. Is there too much coolant in it?

i always refill it to a little below min. how could i figure out if lines are leaking? could i just take it to a dealership or something and have them check it out?

Yea but they won't care enough to actually check it all. I would do it myself if I was you. It shouldn't be too hard to find the leak. You can pop the hood, run the car, turn it off and check for leaks.

Go rent a pressure tester from the auto parts store (should be about $100, but you get it all back when you return the tool). Pressurizing the system will make it much easier to find the leaks.

It doesn't leak everytime is the thing thats hard about finding it. Ill do the pressure test tomorrow, hopefully that works.

so the seal on the radiator cap was torn a little bit. replacing that fixed the problem. thank god lol

Back