How to change valve seals?

jonlong

:
2003.5 Black MP5
Looks like I am due for new valve seals. Are there any good writeups on this? I found a few posts saying that it was possible to do it w/o removing the head, using either the rope or compressed air method.

Do I need to mess with the timing belt or can I leave all of that stuff intact?

Any help is appreciated. A detailed how-to would be incredible.

Thanks!

I've never done them on the Protege, but in general, you need to remove the camshafts, which means taking off the timing belt.

I replaced my seals with the head off the car. I couldnt find a tool that would allow me to compress the spring to get the clip off at the same time. After replacing the seals i still had oil burning so i bought a reman head. I also did rings, water pump, timming belt kit, all new gaskets for everything.

JT

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my seals. The new one is on the right.

Attachments

• DSCN1911.jpg
    DSCN1911.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 603
Random pics from the rebuild. I only did the rings because i figured i was that far in i should just make sure the oil rings were good.

Attachments

• DSCN1908.jpg
    DSCN1908.jpg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 476
  • DSCN1907.jpg
    DSCN1907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 461
  • 10-03-09_1258.jpg
    10-03-09_1258.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 455
  • 10-03-09_1257.jpg
    10-03-09_1257.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 370
  • 10-02-09_1648.jpg
    10-02-09_1648.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 406
Make sure you get the seals from the dealer the sizes are slightly different and a lot of people have problems with the felpro kit

Get the oem seals from the dealer 8 black and 8 green. Intake side is black exhaust side is green

Here's the tool to do it with the head on :)

Last edited:
Just don't get the 36200 tool. It's too big to fit in the lifter bucket bore :(

If you're willing to pull the head, you can make your own tool with just a large c-clamp, a piece of pipe, and a dremel.

Just don't get the 36200 tool. It's too big to fit in the lifter bucket bore :(

If you're willing to pull the head, you can make your own tool with just a large c-clamp, a piece of pipe, and a dremel.

x2 the kit I have has both size's and the tool on the right fit's perfect..

That 36050 tool looks slick. Ill have to look into that. We have valve spring tools at work but they wont fit. Used a head clamp and a socket with a window cut in.

JT

Attachments

• DSCN1907.jpg
    DSCN1907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 350
I'll put up a link from where i got it and a video of it in action after i get off from work

alright guys i have ordered the seals and the tool for removing the keepers what will i need todo with the cams? bring cyl#1 to tdc and remove cams or?

thanks in advance hope to get this fixed look like the clampets when i start it up :)

Just loosen the cam clamps a turn or two at a time along the length of the cam. What you want to avoid is the cam moving in any direction other than straight up or down so you don't damage the thrust surfaces. Likewise when you get all the caps removed, lift the cam directly up and out... don't just yank it up by one end.

Back