GI: Engine bay dress-up hardware kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
I've been wanting to do some sort of clean-up on the hardware in my engine bay, but I keep running into the roadblock of the specific hardware I want in the material I want only being available in packages of 25-50pcs, when I really only need a couple. I'm already part-way through cataloging the fastener type and size of numerous parts in the engine bay, so I thought I'd throw up a thread and see if there would be any interest in a kit containing replacement hardware for things like valve cover bolts, fender bolts, rad bracket nuts, strut tower nuts, and any other hardware people were interested in.

HKPRO5 started a thread containing a nice how-to on replacing your fender bolts with nice trick looking painted finishing washers HERE so this is definitely within the reach of the average DIY-er, but if there's enough interest I could be willing to put together a reasonably priced kit that would save you the trouble of buying more hardware than you need and/or scouring your local stores for the correct hardware. I'd also consider offering painted heads in a variety of colors on the appropriate hardware if there was demand, but I'd have to look into that a bit more.

So... first off, would anyone be interested in a kit like this? (I'd estimate cost in the $15-$30 range depending on what all ended up in the kit) Secondly, is there anything else you'd like to see in a kit besides fender bolts, rad bracket nuts, valve cover bolts, and strut tower bracket nuts?

Oh, and the goal would be to get all of this done with full stainless hardware and nice hex key screws/bolts.

Update#1 (5-3-11) Sample pic of bolt/washers:
0504111818.jpg

Last edited:
I had done this DIY. Took me the whole weekend to find all the right stuff on top of that the cost of gas and spent prob $15 buck's on all the hardware alone..Good idea on trying to do this hope it work's out..

this looks great i would probley want

the fender bolts, rad bracket nuts, valve cover bolts, and strut tower bracket nuts, headlight bolts on the top, the bolts on the top of the grill, and the bolts on the hood where u bolt it.... all in a badass blue or a burnt neo color...

Cool, well I'm happy to see it looks like there's enough interest to get this rolling. Give me a few days here and I'll try and get some firmer details on the type of hardware, pricing, and some pics of the actual hardware.

In the meantime, I'm open to any suggestions on what hardware you guys would like to have in the kit. :)

i would be interested in those washers and the allen head hardware that sits flush in the washers... will they come in colors or we paint them however we would like?

i would be interested in those washers and the allen head hardware that sits flush in the washers... will they come in colors or we paint them however we would like?

I'll look into painting them. I don't think it will be a problem, but I want to make sure I can make it look good and hold up reasonably well if I'm going to be selling them, you know?

Contacted Antoine about AMM status, and I'm hoping to pick up some sample hardware early this week so I can give you guys a better idea of what I have in mind.

My vote is for regular bolts and non painted. It's alot easier to torque bolts than allen heads. I'm sure it would just be easier for everybody to paint the hardware their own color.

My vote is for regular bolts and non painted. It's alot easier to torque bolts than allen heads. I'm sure it would just be easier for everybody to paint the hardware their own color.

I just replaced all of mine with allen head bolts, and the fenders and headlights bolts are not an issue when it comes to tightening them. I also replaced my valve cover bolts with allen head bolts no issues with proper torque specs.. why replace regular bolts with regular bolts??

I just replaced all of mine with allen head bolts, and the fenders and headlights bolts are not an issue when it comes to tightening them. I also replaced my valve cover bolts with allen head bolts no issues with proper torque specs.. why replace regular bolts with regular bolts??

Exactly...plus maybe offer a full dress up kit for Proteges that would include new rad support mount arms (first thing to rust) plus any little knick-knacks that look like crap. I'm sure you'd get buy-in for that.

Exactly...plus maybe offer a full dress up kit for Proteges that would include new rad support mount arms (first thing to rust) plus any little knick-knacks that look like crap. I'm sure you'd get buy-in for that.

dress up kit would be a lot harder to do than fasteners as ever engine bay is different.. but ill show you the rad supports arms I made in the garage next time you see the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back