blitz SBC I-D over boost

smith631

:
2003 MSP
So im not overly familiar with how the boost controllers are set up: ratios, gains, etc, etc. I have the blitz I-D boost controller and blitz power I-D and I seem to be having an problem with over boosting. Right now I have the boost set at 9 psi, but when I really step on the gas I end up hitting right around the 11.5-12 mark. The mods to my car are Ion turbo back exhaust, Ion FMIC, Injen cold air intake, HKS ssqv BOV, and a forge WGA. If anyone can help me set up my controller properly to try and eliminate the overboosting that be great!

Are you saying that it holds 11.5-12 or that it spikes up to 11.5-12, then comes down to 9psi?

On my Greddy Profec, it uses the SET function to control the % of boost increase, GAIN controls how fast the turbo spools, and SET GAIN is the point in which it starts boosting.

To control spikes on the Greddy I turn up the SET GAIN (to about 3 lbs) and reduce the GAIN.

There is a really good thread on how to tune the EBC's somewhere. Basicly says to turn everything to 0, do a 4th gear pull and adjust the SET to the desired peak boost, then you can use the GAIN function to help spool quicker. I believe SET GAIN is to be set at a certain increment from the peak boost you desire.

Hope that helps, but I have no experience with the Blitz EBC's.

if its the same as mine you need to set it to internal wastegate (AC not WG) and then you have to set boost and go for a 4th gear pull 3000-redline. gain is how fast the turbo will spool. the risk is overboost.

I have the car set at 9 psi but when i step really on it i hit the 11.5-12 mark, I think thats defined as a spike but i'm not 100% if thats the correct term haha. When I see it get that high I back right off the throttle because I really don't want to create more problems in the car. I just want it to run steady 9 psi and eliminate the spikes. I was able to get rid of the fuel cut I had by adjusting the limiter on my controller. Im very new to this car and turbo cars in general, I bought it about a month ago and trying to learn about them through this forum. I've been on another thread in the problems and help section trying to diagnose some of the issues I have. From what i've read I seem to have a boost leak somewhere (vac is reading -18 at idle) as well as the hesitation when the turbo kicks in. Im going to take a look at the plugs, wastegate, and exhaust manifold this weekend and see if i can come up with anything.

Last edited:
try setting the gain to 0 and then go and do a full 4th gear pull from 2000rpm to redline. this boost will spike a bit but this should set the controller. then slow down and do another 2000-redline pull. if you graph both runs on the controller you should see a noticeable difference in the graph. Also from my understanding of the controller setting the psi isnt always the best because in reality its taking a measurement of total airflow which isnt necessarily regulated by psi. thats why the other option is to set a % try a low number first and slowly bring it up until you get near 9psi. also remember that weather can change things a bit and for me the first pull of the day always seemed a little off, almost like the controller needs a pull to calibrate itself a bit.

if you are still having spiking issues then you could look at the wastegate arm itself which is adjustable. the shorter it is the more it will spike but the faster you will build boost. Sort of like the gain on your EBC. You can try extending it to try and control your spike a bit. just remember to get the proper clip to replace the old one ahead of time. just grab it at the dealer or do a search there is a thread somewhere with a pic of a replacement.

Back