Water in Trunk over Wheel Wells

trfcrx7

:
Yellow MP3, 1990 RX-7, 2004 MPV
If you lift up the carpet and particle board in my trunk, you will find water pooled on both sides above the wheels. It's so bad that my scissor jack rusted into a solid mass. My dealer diagnosed it as a bad trunk seal, and replaced the seal that goes around the perimeter of the trunk. This accomplished nothing. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks, much.

I had the same problem after accident and tail light replacment. Tried to reseal using silicon but water still finds it's way in. So I just ended up stripping my truck of the carpet and particle board and removed all the rubber drain plugs in the floor of trunk too. Also, I keep a small lightweight floorjack in my trunck now (properly secured ofcoarse so it can't move around). No big deal in the end, just an added charater trait to my Mazda ;-)

there was a thread on here somewhere that was a how to on fixing the problem....theres a crack behind one or both of your taillights and water is sneaking in behind them, i have the same problem on m msp, but i havent had time to fix it...my scissor jack also rusted together (im looking for another one at a junkyard though)

just sealed mine last weekend. I had a split seam under both tail lights. I removed both light assemblies and used a small spray bottle filled with water to spray the area. You could see the water running in as I sprayed the seam just above the bumper. I used an aviation seam sealer to seal the seams.

Hi trfcrx7,
I have a similar problem with water in the left wheel well. I searched the net and I came across this forum. I followed the tips mentioned here, but my problem was not a crack under the taillight- there was everything o.k. So I took the left plastic cover inside the trunk and examined thoroughly the area. I discovered that there is moisture around the extractor chamber (the black ventilating clap on the wall). I went on and removed the bolts of the left side of the rear bumper and there I discovered my problems.
First of all there was a crack in the side wall and second the gasket of the extractor chamber was not in good shape and it was not sitting properly against the wall. I wanted to be sure that the water was using one of the two ways to sneak into my trunk, so I wiped everything with a dry cloth and make sure, that there was not any water in the left wheel well. Then I took my sons water pistol and sprayed the crack on the wall. I turned out that decent amounts of water actually find its way into the wheel well. Then I wiped everything once again and did the same experiment with the extractor chamber. The result was the same. I was wandering what was the situation with the right wheel well, so I took off the bolts and looked inside- the wall was intact, and I guess thats why the right side of the trunk is dry.
So to fix the problem I sealed the crack in the left wall of the wheel well and reinforced the extractor chamber with a decent amount of silicone. I havent tested the result, because I only fixed it today, but I think that will do.
I hope you find my experience helpful.
P.S.
and some pictures

Attachments

• Water in Wheel Well.jpg
    Water in Wheel Well.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 497
  • Extractor Chamber.jpg
    Extractor Chamber.jpg
    640.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg