2nd to 3rd gear shifting problems. gear synchronizer maybe?

I'm new hear, 1st post w00t! I've spent the last hour looking for the answer. I stumbled upon a thread that another member had who said his gear synchronize was shot. Anyways that sounded similar, but I'm not sure what that means exactly. I have a 2005 mazda3 sedan. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd I can feel it grind. I didn't think much of it, because I've had this problem before in another car and nothing happened. About 2 days ago when I shifted it just spit the gear back out. Now it happens pretty frequently. I was wondering if it is the gear synchronizer, and if so how much would this typically run to have it fixed?

Any news? I'm having issues going from 3 to 4 consistently...anyone have some suggestions for Replacement synchros, or gear sets? GTX was mentioned in another thread....

when i go from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I will randomly get a little grind, this is rare though. How many miles you got?

I've got 89k and change miles. . .as for gear oil, there's Mazda OE fluid in there, not sure if/when it's been changed. I have the grinding when completing shifts from 4-to-3, and on occaision 2-to-3, when I'm running at 6k+ RPM.

I'd be open to any suggestions on updating/grading the gear oil to help this, before I consider a tranny rebuild/swap.

change your oil. go with 75w90 syncromesh. from Penzoil, or maybe Aral if you find any. I did it and all my problems went away.

anybody notice a problem of shifting from first to second? feels like it catches when I shift quickly. Have had several misshifts and grind gears... have 50k on my tranny and as far as I know still the oe fluid

Change the fluid, i just did mine with mobil1 synthetic and it's even smoother than before. My protege catches 2nd quickly, try to get used to it by practicing slow 2nd gear shifts.

Back