BIG 3 UPGRADE/Oddyssey Battery

YenkoZL1

:
2002 Mazda Protege DX
Looking to do the Big 3 Upgrade on my 02 Protege DX. My understanding is that there is no High Output Alt option for the Protege due to electrical issues. And the best thing one can do is upgrade the wire to get the current to flow as efficiently as possible. I'm sure someone has done this already to their Protege just looking for a couple pointers. Has anyone upgraded all the wires coming off the battery plus the positive wire to the Alt? Except for the positive wire that goes to the main fues box wont mess with that. I ask b/c the factory wiring looks to be 8 gauge or maybe 6 gauge and maybe a little on the small side.

Second, Im looking into the Oddyssey battery. I know PC1400 is the group 35 battery for the car but I've seen some use the PC1700 model. If anyoen has used the PC1700 how did you mount this thing in the stock location? Its 13inches long vs 9+ inches for factory spec?

Reason for upgrade is I'm running 500watt stereo in the car. Alpine PDX5 Amp. And I've already went through a new Optima red top battery. I know optima isn't great but at 500watts there shouldnt be an issue. And yes all connections are good and the Alt is performing as it should. Im thinking the battery sux.

I read that a HP Alt would damage the ECU? Not sure why or how...has this been fixed? Anyway, either of you two done the Big 3 Upgrade to the protege? If so, any pics?

Not too sure about the ECU. lol I just seen the larger alt.

I have done the big 2. lol Ill have to look for pics.

I had my battery out the other day, as I was putting in a new bigger one. The holder as it sits will take arch bigger battery, don't worry too much about that. Just get dimensions and measure it first.

I have the big 3 done in the car as well as a relocated battery. I have no issues with running the stereo gear or the car on the factory alternator.

I have battery and engine grounds upgraded, was gonna do alt+ tomorrow. My tips - use welding cable. Cheap, pure copper rather than the CCA you get in most audio cable, and it looks stealth.

I have 0 gauge + alternator wire to the front battery. I then have the positive 0 gauge wire connected to the front battery positive terminal and running to my second battery in the trunk(optima yellow).Running stock alternator and haven't had any issues but I sometimes get a minor blinking from the headlights here n there. Depending how hard my bass hits lol. I have alot of electronics connected on my car so all in all I think the alternator being upgraded/beefed up isn't needed but yes it's recommended.I will list all the electronics that I have on my car that use up battery life but my batteries are handling all the electronics without a issue.

My audio: pioneer cd player,focal front n rear component sets,4 channel audison amp for the components,2 audison 1.500 bass amps(2k rms each),2 12inch Orion subs(2k rms each),digital capacitor installed,led interior floor lights(front),alarm system,turbo timer,boost controller,etc etc.

Last edited:
I have 0 gauge + alternator wire to the front battery. I then have the positive 0 gauge wire connected to the front battery positive terminal and running to my second battery in the trunk(optima yellow).Running stock alternator and haven't had any issues but I sometimes get a minor blinking from the headlights here n there. Depending how hard my bass hits lol. I have alot of electronics connected on my car so all in all I think the alternator being upgraded/beefed up isn't needed but yes it's recommended.I will list all the electronics that I have on my car that use up battery life but my batteries are handling all the electronics without a issue.

My audio:pioneer cd player,focal front n rear component sets,4 channel audison amp for the components,2 audison 1.500 bass amps(2k rms each),2 12inch Orion subs(2k rms each),digital capacitor installed,led interior floor lights(front),alarm system,turbo timer,boost controller,etc etc.

you should have the 0gauge from the alternator running into an isolator, than run a wire from it to your batteries that way they charge separately and its easier on your electrical system.

at 500 watts you should not need a high output alt yet (and yeah i read the same thing which makes me sad, also read that you can't do dual alternators unless you completely isolate the second one for a second accessory battery only). also +1 on the using welding cable. you'll save yourself an arm and a leg on cost and it looks killer. and finally, just like bikingpro5 said you should really be running an isolator unless those batteries are identical. if they are the least bit different (even age wise) they are going to be draining eachother constantly and you will end up ruining the lifetime of those batts

I just bought a 160 amp HO alternator from powermax usa for my 02 protege5, can anyone give me advice on doing the big 3 for it, like wire lengths I will need, I'm getting 4 guage wire but would rather just buy the kit. I have to get a 1" smaller belt because of the overdrive pulley

Back