VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Finished FS-ZE swap today in my 01 mp3.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege MP3

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    Also, I'd be interested in your stock ZE crank pulley and exhaust cam gear. PM me if you sell them.
    The engine is due for delivery today and I'll be starting work this weekend. At this time I'm still undecided on whether I'll be using the ZE wiring harness / ECU or not. Even though it will mean going back to OBDI I'm thinking I may keep it until I can afford a standalone. If I do sell the ZE Crank Pulley you'll be the first to know. I am going to try to get as much as I can out of the ZE with my limited resources so I wouldn't expect to be selling much yet.

You mention the exhaust cam gear. If I do stay with the MP3 ECU will that need to be changed as well? I would like to keep the FS9 cam, of course, and don't really see why I'd keep the ZE cams and not the cam gear. I'm not a mechanic by trade so please forgive my ignorance. I'm just hoping for as much clarity as possible.

Thanks!

01 MP3, 03 MSP

The mp3 ecu can run ze cams just fine.

How is the emissions standards where u live? If switching to obd1 won't effect you getting the car registered and you had some downtime to do all the wiring I would switch to the ze harness and ecu.
    [B]DOMO
    2002 P5 Gone but not forgotten
    2001 mp3 #38 totalled by a semi
    2006 3i daily driver
    2003 msp project car [B]

Registered Member

Mazda Protege MP3

Minnesota = No Emissions Testing. At least, I've never had to have any testing done before. Car is already registered and licensed, although I do need to pay the annual fee to get new tags. No testing required for this. I'm definitely leaning toward using the ZE ECU. Electronics and wiring is something I can handle so long as I have help making sure I'm connecting the leads to their proper places.

01 MP3, 03 MSP

I wish I could say the same emissions in Ontario sucks ass car has to be near stock to pass. I wish emissions wasn't such a big deal here but oh well..

If I were you I would start tagging all the plugs on the motor so that when u swap the motor into your car, it will be easier to know what goes where. As will all engine swaps take ur time and good luck
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege MP3

Well, car is at the shop and we'll start dis-assembly tonight. Did run into a little hiccup though: they didn't send the ECU with the motor like they said they would. I called the JDM Shop and they said it was because it won't work with the car but I assured them I want it any way so it is on the way now. As part of them cutting the ECU out they mangled the entire wiring harness so I'll need to re-wire the whole bloody thing which probably isn't a bad idea anyway. This does mean, however, that since I only have this weekend for the swap I'll be installing it with the MP3 ECU for the time being. Of course, if it seems to be running OK (not dangerously lean or anything) I may end up just running it as-is until getting a stand-alone next year.

So, now I need to ask: does anyone have an FS-ZE Wiring diagram I can get a copy of (just in case I decide to drop in the JDM ECU after all)?

If, and that may be a big IF, I end up doing stand-alone then I'll have the FS-ZE ECU sitting around not being used. I'll keep everyone in the loop in case I decide to get rid of it and someone is interested.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege MP3

At the risk of sounding like a whiny 9 year old Anakin..."It's working! It's WORKING!!"

More details to follow next week.

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Would love the details on this lol I'm doing this swap this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protegè5

Quote Originally Posted by EverKing View Post
    Well, car is at the shop and we'll start dis-assembly tonight. Did run into a little hiccup though: they didn't send the ECU with the motor like they said they would. I called the JDM Shop and they said it was because it won't work with the car but I assured them I want it any way so it is on the way now. As part of them cutting the ECU out they mangled the entire wiring harness so I'll need to re-wire the whole bloody thing which probably isn't a bad idea anyway. This does mean, however, that since I only have this weekend for the swap I'll be installing it with the MP3 ECU for the time being. Of course, if it seems to be running OK (not dangerously lean or anything) I may end up just running it as-is until getting a stand-alone next year.

So, now I need to ask: does anyone have an FS-ZE Wiring diagram I can get a copy of (just in case I decide to drop in the JDM ECU after all)?

If, and that may be a big IF, I end up doing stand-alone then I'll have the FS-ZE ECU sitting around not being used. I'll keep everyone in the loop in case I decide to get rid of it and someone is interested.
    Where do you get an ECU and wiring harness for a fs-ze motor? I'm also looking for the intake manifold with the module on it. The fs-ze that was sent to me had one that was cracked. I'm having a very tough time finding these parts.

Registered Member

Mazda Protege MP3

Quote Originally Posted by HippemHop View Post
    Where do you get an ECU and wiring harness for a fs-ze motor? I'm also looking for the intake manifold with the module on it. The fs-ze that was sent to me had one that was cracked. I'm having a very tough time finding these parts.
    I got the ECU with the engine. No harness though. I was going to build my own but never got around to it.

As for the manifold, I can't help...I still use mine ;-)

230,000+ miles (chasis), about 95,000 on the FS-ZE (34,000 since I got it). Haven't driven much in the last year because of other issues (brakes, tires, now rear strut).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123