Finished FS-ZE swap today in my 01 mp3.

03 mazda protege5 engine swapped donde start

I have a few questions that came up during this project. I came across this article on protegefaq because i was trying to figure out where these FS9 cams came from. when i got my FS-ZE i opened the valve cover up to find both intake and exhaust cams were marked FS9. The swap is up and running, engine runs great, idles at 1,000 rpms. what is my cheapest choice for engine management to really get the full potential out of these cams and high compression pistons. the mp3 ecu seems to still run the motor pretty strong, but id like to make as much power as this motor has to offer.

3rd Generations:
If you are talking about aftermarket cams, then no, none are available.
Don't give your hopes up however. If you own a car with a 1.8 or 2.0 liter
engine, you can get a factory intake cam from the JDM FS-ZE engine (which
has a lift of .341 and the duration 210 @.050). A short run of MazdaSpeed
exhaust cams was also recently made available for that engine and has a lift of
.341, and the duration of 210 @.050. The early version of the MazdaSpeed
exhaust cam (FS9P-12-440) supposedly performs better (by about 1-1.5%
@6000rpm) than the revised version. A TSB was issued in Japan concerning
stalling/idling issues under cold engine and/or cold weather situations and thus
the exhaust cam timing had to be reduced slightly in order to decrease over-
lap from 17.5 to 10.5.
Note that the stock intake cam has
lift of .341 and a duration of 198 @.050.
while the stock exhaust cam has
lift of .322 and a duration of 200 @.050.
Part numbers as follows:
FS-ZE intake cam: FSH9-12-420
MazdaSpeed FS-ZE exhaust cam: FS9P-12-440A (discontinued)
Cam gears from Tripoint Racing are also available.
hello. I swapped my engine on my mazda protege5 . I found 1 in
JMD Depot and my car DO NOT START. THE IS NO FUEL AND NO SPARK. HELP PLZ.

I'm thinking of selling my Microtech as I have to many projects going on now....PM me if you would like to discuss

hello. I swapped my engine on my mazda protege5 . I found 1 in
JMD Depot and my car DO NOT START. THE IS NO FUEL AND NO SPARK. HELP PLZ.

It is probably because you have the JDM crank pulley still on the engine. Swap it for the regular US Protege crank pulley and see if that helps.

Hi! I just ordered an FS-ZE (FS9) with ECU for a swap in my MP3 and am wondering if this is just a drop-in installation or if there are additional changes that will need to be made to get it up and running. The engine is due for delivery this Friday (Sept. 12) and I'll be doing the swap in a couple weeks so I'm just trying to be sure I have everything I need before going into it. It sounds like people have had to apply some workarounds if using the stock MP3 ECU or just use a stand-alone ECU for tuning. Are there any major risks with just using the JDM ECU?

It's not just the ECU. You'll need to rewire the entire car forward of the firewall.

It's not just the ECU. You'll need to rewire the entire car forward of the firewall.

I expected that. Is the ZE ECU ODBII? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was ODBI and if so will that be a problem for any other systems?

Alternately, what is risk of running the MP3 ECU with the ZE? I know I won't be producing max power until I get a standalone in this case, but is it safe to run the this way through the winter or should I look at immediately replacing the ECU?

If you want to get the full 160 hp the Ze is obd1 so unless u swap the entire harness and ecu it won't run. That being said you can run the ze on the stock mp3 harness. You need to swap the crank position sensor can't remember what else right now. Obviously you won't get 160 hp but you'll probably gain 5-10 and ull see the car will have more top end power over stock

Thanks, DOMO, that's what I was hoping to get confirmed. So it sounds like it is safe to run the stock ECU so long as swap out the crank sensor. Otherwise its switching out the whole harness and going ODBI.

Again, Thanks for help everyone! I'll be documenting my swap and future progress in my "Looking for Tuning Advice" thread.

If you want to get the full 160 hp the Ze is obd1 so unless u swap the entire harness and ecu it won't run. That being said you can run the ze on the stock mp3 harness. You need to swap the crank position sensor can't remember what else right now. Obviously you won't get 160 hp but you'll probably gain 5-10 and ull see the car will have more top end power over stock

Are you sure it's the crank angle sensor that needs to be swapped? The crank pulleys are different between the JDM and US engines but I haven't heard of the sensors being different.

Also, I'd be interested in your stock ZE crank pulley and exhaust cam gear. PM me if you sell them.

Also, I'd be interested in your stock ZE crank pulley and exhaust cam gear. PM me if you sell them.

The engine is due for delivery today and I'll be starting work this weekend. At this time I'm still undecided on whether I'll be using the ZE wiring harness / ECU or not. Even though it will mean going back to OBDI I'm thinking I may keep it until I can afford a standalone. If I do sell the ZE Crank Pulley you'll be the first to know. I am going to try to get as much as I can out of the ZE with my limited resources so I wouldn't expect to be selling much yet.

You mention the exhaust cam gear. If I do stay with the MP3 ECU will that need to be changed as well? I would like to keep the FS9 cam, of course, and don't really see why I'd keep the ZE cams and not the cam gear. I'm not a mechanic by trade so please forgive my ignorance. I'm just hoping for as much clarity as possible.

Thanks!

The mp3 ecu can run ze cams just fine.

How is the emissions standards where u live? If switching to obd1 won't effect you getting the car registered and you had some downtime to do all the wiring I would switch to the ze harness and ecu.

Minnesota = No Emissions Testing. At least, I've never had to have any testing done before. Car is already registered and licensed, although I do need to pay the annual fee to get new tags. No testing required for this. I'm definitely leaning toward using the ZE ECU. Electronics and wiring is something I can handle so long as I have help making sure I'm connecting the leads to their proper places.

I wish I could say the same emissions in Ontario sucks ass car has to be near stock to pass. I wish emissions wasn't such a big deal here but oh well..

If I were you I would start tagging all the plugs on the motor so that when u swap the motor into your car, it will be easier to know what goes where. As will all engine swaps take ur time and good luck

Well, car is at the shop and we'll start dis-assembly tonight. Did run into a little hiccup though: they didn't send the ECU with the motor like they said they would. I called the JDM Shop and they said it was because it won't work with the car but I assured them I want it any way so it is on the way now. As part of them cutting the ECU out they mangled the entire wiring harness so I'll need to re-wire the whole bloody thing which probably isn't a bad idea anyway. This does mean, however, that since I only have this weekend for the swap I'll be installing it with the MP3 ECU for the time being. Of course, if it seems to be running OK (not dangerously lean or anything) I may end up just running it as-is until getting a stand-alone next year.

So, now I need to ask: does anyone have an FS-ZE Wiring diagram I can get a copy of (just in case I decide to drop in the JDM ECU after all)?

If, and that may be a big IF, I end up doing stand-alone then I'll have the FS-ZE ECU sitting around not being used. I'll keep everyone in the loop in case I decide to get rid of it and someone is interested.

At the risk of sounding like a whiny 9 year old Anakin..."It's working! It's WORKING!!"

More details to follow next week.

Would love the details on this lol I'm doing this swap this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, car is at the shop and we'll start dis-assembly tonight. Did run into a little hiccup though: they didn't send the ECU with the motor like they said they would. I called the JDM Shop and they said it was because it won't work with the car but I assured them I want it any way so it is on the way now. As part of them cutting the ECU out they mangled the entire wiring harness so I'll need to re-wire the whole bloody thing which probably isn't a bad idea anyway. This does mean, however, that since I only have this weekend for the swap I'll be installing it with the MP3 ECU for the time being. Of course, if it seems to be running OK (not dangerously lean or anything) I may end up just running it as-is until getting a stand-alone next year.

So, now I need to ask: does anyone have an FS-ZE Wiring diagram I can get a copy of (just in case I decide to drop in the JDM ECU after all)?

If, and that may be a big IF, I end up doing stand-alone then I'll have the FS-ZE ECU sitting around not being used. I'll keep everyone in the loop in case I decide to get rid of it and someone is interested.

Where do you get an ECU and wiring harness for a fs-ze motor? I'm also looking for the intake manifold with the module on it. The fs-ze that was sent to me had one that was cracked. I'm having a very tough time finding these parts.

Where do you get an ECU and wiring harness for a fs-ze motor? I'm also looking for the intake manifold with the module on it. The fs-ze that was sent to me had one that was cracked. I'm having a very tough time finding these parts.

I got the ECU with the engine. No harness though. I was going to build my own but never got around to it.

As for the manifold, I can't help...I still use mine ;-)

230,000+ miles (chasis), about 95,000 on the FS-ZE (34,000 since I got it). Haven't driven much in the last year because of other issues (brakes, tires, now rear strut).

Back