some sort of transmission leak

jmv

:
2003 MSP #1475
Hi all.

I'm having a leak from somewhere on the transmission. The car has had the transmission redone about 10,000 miles ago, when my LSD blew, and I haven't had any issues with it, but noticed what seems like quite a lot of fluid leaking out.

I don't know what the correct terms are for this, but it seems like it may be coming from what I would call the output shaft seal... basically the seal on the transmission right where the axle comes out to the drivers side wheel. I could be wrong though, it's hard for me to tell.

Is that a common problem for the MSP? Any other spots I should look at? And can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace?

Thanks,
Jason

No, it is not a common problem. Someone "fixed" your tranny and screwed up. Take it back. (that's just my opinion.).

Can anyone tell me anything about that seal, whats involved with replacing it, how hard the job is, has anyone had a problem similar to this before? Or if anyone has a suggestion of another place nearby where it might be leaking from, as I'm not positive that the seal is the source of the leak.

I'd like to get some advice on what needs to be done to fix it, not just that its broken and I need to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Jason

CV axle shaft seals are the most likely culprit barring a crack in your transaxle case. You need to remove the CVs to replace them so the repair difficulty depends on your skill level. Best thing for you to do would be to jack it up and take a look at the transaxle yourself so you can see whether its the seals or the case.

I would at least contact the original shop to let them know that you have a problem and see if they will work with you on the labor as most likely your seal(s) where compromised during that repair.

Good luck.

Thanks. Are the CV axle shaft seals right where the axle joins the transaxle? Thats where the leak appears to be. Its pretty bad too... the car needed about 2.3 quarts of fluid, and after getting hot just once there was already a substantial amount coming out.

Yes, one on each side of the transaxle where the CV input shafts go. That is a major leak considering the capacity is 2.9 qts. You may want to consider having towed to a shop unless you are going to tackle the job yourself with it in that condition.

Four weeks ago I replaced my clutch after 83,000 miles on a 09 Speed3. I put in a brand new stock clutch pressure plate and Fidanza flywheel along with 3 quarts of FoMoCo gear oil. I now have almost 700 miles on the clutch after riding no higher than 3k rpms for the first 250 miles, the next 150-200 slight boost but still very conservative and after 500+ I started to do some WOT runs that I had no issues with. Crisp, quick, clean power shifting 1st-3rd EVERY single time. About two days ago I go to drive my car and notice that the shifter took a much greater effort to put in gear but once it went into gear it didn't grind, click or make any odd noises and would always shift just with added effort/pressure. I have continued to do a couple WOT runs and it still shifts like it came out of the dealership if not better. I also forgot to mention that once the car warms up it starts to shifter better but not completely. Could this be the master cylinder or slave, especially fresh out a brand new clutch/ flywheel install that had no previous issues for over 500 miles? Thanks

Back