Mazda 3i vs. Mazda 3s Is it Worth It? -- Also, A/C question

gyrodyne

Hey I'm looking at the Mazda 3 and had a couple of questions. So the 3s Sport model is pretty comparable to the 3i Touring model (other than the upgraded engine), yet it costs $1500 more MSRP. Also the weight to power ratio is 18.1 lb/hp compared to 19.3 lb/hp which doesn't seem like a huge improvement over the 3i. Thoughts? Is there any benefit to getting the sport model?

Also, for the base 3i SV model the specs on Mazda's site list "Air conditioning with pollen filter" as not being standard. Does this mean the base model doesn't have air conditioning or just doesn't have a pollen filter?

I have 3i and the base model does have a/c.. As for pollen blocker idk...
And yes the 3s has a 2.3 but does the power to weight ratio make it better? I've raced 3 of the 2.3L(mine is 2.0) one was a hatch the other 2 were sedans and I beat all 3... The only thing I don't like about base model, everything is manual... Windows, mirror, door locks... But other then that I love mine

Ive owned 2 3S hatches and 1 i sedan so ive actually owned both. Im not sure how infamous beat the 2.3 unless he got a significant jump or was a really short race. The 2.0l feels somewhat close during everyday driving but sounds hollow and anemic when you floor it, there's just not much there. You do get better mileage and thats huge nowadays. Keep in mind the 2.0l can be modded to be much quicker than the 2.3 (turbo's and such). The i looks cheap inside, the cloth is cheaper and the guages are just red...whereas the 2.3 has the blue glow behind the numbers with the red...cloth is higher end and heavier. Honestly I love the hatch so much more than the sedan I wouldnt own another i just for that reason...plus I love the guages and the little more zoom the 2.3 provides means the world to me.

@fam.. Maybe my cold air? We raced 65 to like 100ish.. And you say the I only had red gauges but mine have the blue... Do they make the s with the 2.0L?

its possible they changed the i's to have the better guages but on the 04 and 05 I owned the i was red guages no white(that turns blue at night) backing...you could only choose from a few brightness options of the red. (if I didnt own an S before it, it would never have drove me nuts). The i is a lighter motor and would high rev a little quicker and give some initial spunk but once it kept revving up to the high band it lost its oomph and really didnt pull whereas the 2.3 would pull harder when pushed and had a lot more low end torque (this is seat of pants guesstimation not from a dyno). The 2.3 feels only about 20% faster if that..not a world of difference to most folks.

On the AC issue, I believe they are all rigged for the filter...so even if yours doesnt have one, I think you can buy one...could be wrong though.

Well I would expect the 2.3 to beat me because of the extra .3 thus leading to my surprise of beating 3... But it could also be that I'm an amazing drive becausE I have beaten a mazdaspeed protege and two 1.8T jettas

There were rumors there was a little old japanese man who specially built one 2l engine to produce more hp than the 2.3 and he was able to put it into one special 3 to make it faster than the other...perhaps you got this engine and you are forever blessed.

The rumors you heard are true! But I don't know how you heard them!! Haha don't be upset because you are wrong! Off you want bring that 20% faster 2.3 and we'll have a run at it, I'm always down to race haha

Ill be at the local autox here in perrysburg Ohio Sunday so I'll see you there. Its not the difference of a mustang v6 vs v8, but there is a notable difference. Im not bias as some might be as Ive owned both cars and dont really care one way or the other. If you beat a 2.3 it wasnt the same conditions for the other car (wrong gear, stick vs auto, loaded down with junk, not racing, let off, bad driver). Now it wont take too many mods to be on equal footing. an exhaust and cai would probably put you close if not even.

oops sorry.

All I can help with are 0-60's for those models

S in 2010 does 60 in 7.9, while the i does it in 8.7 , those are manual times, with an auto you can put the i in the high 9's...nothing blistering for either motor.

I did get to drive a 2010i base model around for a month...had blutooth..it was pretty peppy and fun and the dash interior is mushier (in a good way) instead of being super hard like the 04-09's. It was adequate...though my next car will be the mazdaspeed or equivalent.

Last edited:
I just bought a new 2010 3i sedan. All the things they are saying it doesn't come with mine had so i'm not sure where they are getting it. I have power everything except seats. Bluetooth, aux jack, outside temperature, steering wheel control, keyless entry with panic, ummm ya. If you have any questions about my 3i ask away i hate to just sit here and list options lol

It sounds like you bought the Touring version of the sedan. Is that true? Do you know if the base version (3i SV) has air conditioning?

Nope definitely the Sport not the Touring, and yes i have A/C. I cant imagine many 2010 vehicles that don't have A/C standard on ALL models.

Okay I have a 2008 Mazda 3 I Sport, Everything is manual, windows, mirrors, tranny, locks, etc. It does have A/C

Back