Smokey joe exhaust but only once and on an incline.

Prev

:
2007 Mazda 3 MPS
Good Afternoon or Morning for you folks across the pond.

I fitted my TurboXS downpipe and race pipe to my 3MPS at the weekend. Sounds great and goes very well. Only problems ive had, are the car smelling like a petrol station due to not being mapped so over fuelling, and CEL's. But no running issues.

Today I was sat in traffic on a small incline. I noticed alot of exhaust gases/smoke coming from the exhaust and floating gently past my passanger window. It was enough for the person behind me to flash there lights and point at the back of my car. As soon as I moved off to flat road it stopped. Further down the road I stopped again on a small incline but this time it didnt do it.

My question to you lot is, is this normal on a decatted car? Is it just unburnt fuel or have I got tell tell signs of smokey turbo syndrome?

Thanks

Prev

Last edited:
I had that same problem. Smoking on inclines and after sitting a while and a oil smell. Its due to a very poorly designed PCV system that doesn't equalize the crankcase pressure effieciently so the oil drain back tube from the turbo backs up and you get oil seepage from the compressor crossshaft into the exhaust side of the turbo. I have read from a Mazda TSB that switching to a 5W-40 synthetic oil will solve the problem due to its different viscosity and flow characteristics. I did this a month ago using Amsoil 5W-40 and have not a problem since. I hope this helps

I had that same problem. Smoking on inclines and after sitting a while and a oil smell. Its due to a very poorly designed PCV system that doesn't equalize the crankcase pressure effieciently so the oil drain back tube from the turbo backs up and you get oil seepage from the compressor crossshaft into the exhaust side of the turbo. I have read from a Mazda TSB that switching to a 5W-40 synthetic oil will solve the problem due to its different viscosity and flow characteristics. I did this a month ago using Amsoil 5W-40 and have not a problem since. I hope this helps

Ah perfect. Ok mate ill give this a try.

Also, you may still be getting a little burn off of the preservative/coating on the inside of the downpipe and racepipe. I'm running the TurboXS dp/rp combo into the stock CBE. I had a little of what you describe for a few days after the upgrade, then it went away. And the smell, well, you'll just have to get used to what exhaust systems used to be like on all cars before catalytic converters.

Are you measuring your boost pressure? If not, you really need to do that. On the US spec cars, we're seeing about 2-3 psi increase in boost (18-19 psi). I was also getting some pretty serious sharp boost spikes up to 21 psi when just coming up on boost at around 3,000 rpm. Adding the Hypertech tune, which I understand is available for Euro spec cars, did wonders in totally eliminating those boost spikes while retaining the target boost levels and extending them out a bit more in the power band. You are going to see some nice power gains, but do need to watch out for the spikes and possible boost creep with a free flowing exhaust having the potential to max out your wastegate on the turbo. Monitor boost level.

Also, you may still be getting a little burn off of the preservative/coating on the inside of the downpipe and racepipe. I'm running the TurboXS dp/rp combo into the stock CBE. I had a little of what you describe for a few days after the upgrade, then it went away. And the smell, well, you'll just have to get used to what exhaust systems used to be like on all cars before catalytic converters.

Are you measuring your boost pressure? If not, you really need to do that. On the US spec cars, we're seeing about 2-3 psi increase in boost (18-19 psi). I was also getting some pretty serious sharp boost spikes up to 21 psi when just coming up on boost at around 3,000 rpm. Adding the Hypertech tune, which I understand is available for Euro spec cars, did wonders in totally eliminating those boost spikes while retaining the target boost levels and extending them out a bit more in the power band. You are going to see some nice power gains, but do need to watch out for the spikes and possible boost creep with a free flowing exhaust having the potential to max out your wastegate on the turbo. Monitor boost level.

Ah ok ill give it a week or so and see how its doing after that. On the plus side when stuck in traffic people dont sit too close behind me. But does make my car look like its got some serious issues.

Yeah im running the torque app on my droid based phone. So will run some logs of boost on a spirited drive. Will look out for any boost spikes.
On the remap front im looking at either hypertech or Versuatuner. The Versuatuner sounds promising. Just waiting for the speed3/mps release.

Cheers again for the help lads.

Back