CV or Power steering?

hamproof

I was just changing the oil on my 08 CX-9 and I noticed oil all over the inner CV boot (near the transmission) on the passenger side. I'm not sure if this is a leak from the CV or power steering.

I say power steering because a couple of months back, the steering was making some grinding sound while turning (car was stationary) left/right. Turns out power steering level was below the LOW level. I filled it up to MAX. Now, it appears to be at the LOW level again.

I can't see where the power steering hose/pipe goes under the car from the engine bay. I can't see it under the car either. Also, from what I understand the CV is packed with grease and the oil appears to be more fluid (from the splashes under the car).

Anyone has similar issues?

Not had any issues like your, but it seems like you have already found the Leaking power steering seal. Good luck!

Is it a common failure? The power steering seal? I searched the forum and web, but didn't see any complains.

I've about 5 months left on my 3 year warranty. Need to take care of this fast ...

Got the car back. Two copper washers failed causing the leak. Also took the opportunity to have them replace the silver trim pieces.

Will know in about 2 months if I need too add more power steering fluid.

Sounds like the old Fomoco (Ford Motor Company) power steering pump, which leaks and Ford makes a kit for the pump as they knew it was gonna leak. I wonder if this is the same pump design that originated form FORD? I will look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find a Fomoco stamp like on the dipstick.

I will look at mine tomorrow and see if I can find a Fomoco stamp like on the dipstick.

Power steering reservoir does not have a dipstick. It is probably neither Ford or Mazda. It probably came from a tier one supplier. Hopefully no other issues. I hate going to dealership.

Back