MAZDA5 rear shock bolts welded into crossmember (broken bolts= $700 crossmember)

cplhornby

:
2006, MAZDA5 sport, 5spd
Hey everyone!

I was replacing my rear shocks yesterday and when I was torquing the bolts back on, one of them broke! (culprit was a broken torque wrench) So off to research I went. I later found out that the bolts that hang from the top of the wheel well are actually welded into the cross member. So if one of those bolts break, your going to have to replace the cross member...... which costs around $700 CDN.

F that.

Im going to try and drill it out and bolt it with a high strength nut/bolt/washer combo. Pics explaining what Im talking about included. Tonight when I drill out the broken bolt and replace ill take more photos and post tomorrow or later tonight.

BTW.... The dudes at my local MAZDA dealership came outside and told me that unofficially it wouldnt affect the car negatively in anyway, and it might be stronger. They all think the set up is garbage.

REAR TOP.JPGSHOCK BOTTOM.JPGCLOSE UP.JPG

Didn't realize it was designed this way.
Really crappy.
I'm looking forward to the after pics.
Heck if it was me, I'll drill out all of those bolts while I was at it.

Make sure you get the best hardened steel bolts and nuts that you can buy. I'd go to Fastenal if you have one around. Show them what the problem is and let them hook you up. You may try suspension nuts/bolts. My Focus had bolts that I replaced when I put some aftermarket stuff on the front end, front A-arm bolts actually, and the torque spec was ridiculous, like 185 ft-lbs. The bolts were $17 and have nuts with plastic in them so they won't back off. That will definitely hold that if you drill it to the right size. it's going to be a b****, but you can fix it. Keep us updated.

Grade 8 bolt or metric 10.9 have a lot higher tensile strength. The only drawback is the a lot more brittle and might snap during impact. I haven't taken the rear shocks apart on my Mazda5 yet and it looks like it was made from Aluminum. A regular bolt would be more than sufficient to hold that bracket in place because most likely the bracket would snap first before the bolt.

oh man....this just happened to me as well..... I am going to look for the same solution today.....
any updates on this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
thanks in advance

Hey everyone!

I was replacing my rear shocks yesterday and when I was torquing the bolts back on, one of them broke! (culprit was a broken torque wrench) So off to research I went. I later found out that the bolts that hang from the top of the wheel well are actually welded into the cross member. So if one of those bolts break, your going to have to replace the cross member...... which costs around $700 CDN.

F that.

Im going to try and drill it out and bolt it with a high strength nut/bolt/washer combo. Pics explaining what Im talking about included. Tonight when I drill out the broken bolt and replace ill take more photos and post tomorrow or later tonight.

BTW.... The dudes at my local MAZDA dealership came outside and told me that unofficially it wouldnt affect the car negatively in anyway, and it might be stronger. They all think the set up is garbage.

View attachment 182657View attachment 182658View attachment 182659

Fixed it!

After I fixed it I realized that I hadnt taken photos for you! So, after having to replace my rear strut mounts this morning I took the opportunity to take photos for you.

All I did was remove the black plastic interior panels to expose the other side of the strut mount. I then took a pneumatic hammer and pounded the broken bolt until it finally popped out (what a relief that was it took forever). I put in a new bolt and had a friend hold it while I torqued on the nut from the other side. Thats it!

One last thing... Does anyone know where I can get a bag of replacement panel plugs? Those little black things that hold the panels in? I took a photo. Please help with those..

Will

Attachments

• top fix.jpg
    top fix.jpg
    824.8 KB · Views: 1,187
  • panel removed.jpg
    panel removed.jpg
    876.3 KB · Views: 1,087
  • panel plug.jpg
    panel plug.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 822
  • CLOSE UP.JPG
    CLOSE UP.JPG
    500.9 KB · Views: 835
  • SHOCK BOTTOM.JPG
    SHOCK BOTTOM.JPG
    957 KB · Views: 1,544
One last thing... Does anyone know where I can get a bag of replacement panel plugs? Those little black things that hold the panels in? I took a photo. Please help with those..

Will

ebay or amazon will have them cheaper than the dealer - I think they are called retainer clips

Hate to tell you, (we had the same issue yesterday) You could have done that job simply by taking the rear cup holder out. I know we couldnt believe it either!!!! Too simple for something that cost us hours with our strut replacement.!

Back