Popping from front Drivers wheel

wannabe

meh
:
16 CX-5, Old: 06 Mazdaspeed6, 08 CX-7, 01 Protege ES/Mp3wannabe
So, I've been getting a popping noise going over essentially any bump in the road for a while now. I finally got a chance to get under it yesterday and everything looked fine (albiet a little rusty...) but I happened to notice that the rubber boot on the shock was pushed up and loose. The passenger side one is connected to the shock, whereas the drivers one was not.

I haven't actually pulled apart the assembly to get a better look, but has anyone else had this problem? I've never see this happen before....

Think I need new shocks? or can I just "repair" it?

bump, so I got under that corner a little more the other day and tried to pop the boot back to the outside of the shock housing. the passenger one is not actually connected, but sits more naturally around the shock housing. it feels better to my hand when i reach up there with the car on the ground, but its still rattling/popping/clunking/whatever. its better, but its still doing it.

everything else looks fine to me, nothing clearly broken...

any other ideas?

that was actually my first thought too, that or the bushings, but like I said, everything looks totally fine, nothings broken or anything.

take hold of the swaybar link firmly and pull and push on it. thoes ball joints at the end should be tight. they may look good but even the slightest bit of play is magnified creating popping noises you would never expect from a small amount of play

I'd put money on the end links. Even if it looks tight, retorque it to spec (~45 ft lbs).

2 months later and I just replaced the driverside endlink. Took it around the block and no noise..so we'll see on my way into work tonight if its cured.

BTW, the grab and pull test passed in my opinion, but figured i could buy new links for like $20 ($44 for both shipped on eBay, anybody need the passenger side one?). It was worth a shot. fingers crossed.

Back