Mazda2 Reliability

silverm5

:
06 Mazda5 Touring, 2012 Hyundai Accent GS
I will be shopping around for a replacement car in a couple of months, so I'm doing my research now. I have my eye on the Mazda 2 but was wondering about it's reliability. Has anyone here experienced any major issues with their 2s?

I only have 550 miles. My front window washer doesn't work, maybe the pump or motor. Getting it fixed Wednesday. Hopefully that's the last thing I have to report until I hit 500,000 miles.

Bonehead Alert: The window washer works just fine. I kept pushing it up thinking it didn't work; this morning I pulled it towards me and voila ! Thankfully I realized that before taking it to the dealership. That would've been embarrassing.

Last edited:
No real issues at all for me. The only "problems" (if you wanna call them that) that I have seen is:
1) radio seems to cut out in super cold weather (there is a recall on this, so no worries)
2) there is a "clicking" or pop that occurs when you first turn your steering wheel after startup. I think it is from pressurizing the lines; no harm has come from this, just a noise.

The car is fantastic! You will love it!

11,500 miles....no issues (except same warranty recall above for no sound from radio when below 14F, and clicking from the electric steering? when starting up)

I get that clicking noise also..........was wondering what it was. It only happens after the car has been off & is then turned back on, and it only occurs during the first 30 seconds or so; then it doesn't happen again until you turn the car off & back on.

It seemed like sometimes the brake pedal is what activated it, but I'm not sure.

No real issues at all for me. The only "problems" (if you wanna call them that) that I have seen is:
1) radio seems to cut out in super cold weather (there is a recall on this, so no worries)
2) there is a "clicking" or pop that occurs when you first turn your steering wheel after startup. I think it is from pressurizing the lines; no harm has come from this, just a noise.

The car is fantastic! You will love it!

Has the "clicking" noise been addressed by Mazda, such as a TSB? I appreciate all the feedback.

Has the "clicking" noise been addressed by Mazda, such as a TSB? I appreciate all the feedback.
Not that I know of. I don't think it's a malfunction since a few people have mentioned it now.
Could just be some kind of ABS or Electric Steering check or something like that that the computer activates at startup.
That's my guess so far.

Close to 30,000 Km (18,641 miles) of reliable (and often enthusiastic) driving. Potholes, uncovered manholes, deeper-than-assumed puddles, unpainted (and therefore unnoticed) speed bumps, stick-shift-learning, being a kid's first car, etc. Fantastic and reliable little car.

My only issue has been with the exhaust pipe detaching itself after the catalyst (Should have been more careful on those dirt roads). But it was a $10 fix at the auto shop.

4381675434_8b49f93147_z.jpg

4302682075_c4543902be_z.jpg

Back