Please help with new CX9. Dealer has messed up car

jschwa

:
2011 CX9 GT AWD
I recently bought a new CX9 GT with no options (so no back-up camera). I wanted the back-up camera with picture in the rearview mirror, and my dealer installed one, but in the process broke off the sensor that controls the automatic wipers and lights.

My questions are:

1. Is there actually an aftermarket rearview mirror set-up with back-up camera picture that will work with the rain/light sensor in the GT? Is there one that will also provide the homelink options?

2. What does the dealer need to do to fix the damage they have already done? Can they just reattach the sensor or is it more extensive than that?

The dealer is saying they are going to fix it up and "make me happy," but seems entirely clueless on what the can/need to do.

Thanks for the help! (I am panicking)

Don't worry. The dealer probably just damaged the box at the root of your inside backview mirror.
It contains light sensors (you can see 6 diodes inside - or 8, I forgot). The sensor can be replaced.

The step to take the mirror off is tricky and requires a special home-made tool (made of steel wire into an U-shape with a handle).
The wire cannot be too thin or too thick. A cheap wire cloth hanger will do the job.
I replaced the OE mirror with HomeLink/AutoDimmer mirror with Compass myself.

Yes, Mazda does have an accessory like that:
http://www.mazdaparts.org/au10.html

Thanks for the response. The mirror you installed actually comes in 2 versions though: one for vehicles with a rain sensor and a different version for ones without. That makes me think that the standard Mazda rearview mirror with LCD display (which only comes in 1 version) actually won't work in a vehicle with the rain sensor.

Do you know if that will actually work? I think it may be intended more for the Touring and Sport models that don't have the rain sensor (plus it doesn't have homelink).

Thanks!

The mirror has nothing to do with the rain sensor.
It is just that they put the two together. To unlatch the mirror from its base, which is glued to the
windshield, you need to make this wire tool. The rain sensor is in the way. Therefore, a special U-shape
tool is needed. It is interesting that the "kit" does not come with this tool. You need to make one yourself.
I don't know how the dealer mechanic usually do that, but obviously they messed up in your case.

Thanks. I hope you are right. The rain sensor doesn't plug in to the mirror components at all? It is just nearby?

I bought the same car as you, CX9 GT with no options. I installed the rear-view mirror with backup camera kit myself, it was a lot cheaper than the dealer wanted me to pay. I bought from mazdagear.com (parts numbers are 0000-8F-N01 and 0000-8F-N041).

The rain sensor is bonded to the inside of the windshield, right behind the rearview mirror. It is completely separate from the mirror, but you have to remove the plastic cover that protects the sensor when swapping the rearview mirror assembly. The instructions for the mirror are quite explicit about not damaging the rain sensor. The implication in the instructions is that the windshield has to be replaced if you mess up the sensor.

Good luck.

If your dealer did the installation and broke the rain sensor, why are you worried? They will clearly have to fix it and I doubt they even want the Mazda corp to know it happened so they have every reason to make you happy. If they don't then speak to the district Mazda people. I would personally assume the dealer is perfectly straight and both regrets what happened and will do the appropriate repair. I cannot imagine this is a very big deal.

My dealer has offered to fix it, but based on how they delivered the car to me initially (with rain sensor and light sensor totally removed and cable for rearview mirror coming out of the wrong spot) I am a bit skeptical that they are going to do a good job. The claim they can put the sensor back on my "trimming down" the plastic casing off the sensor, but it doesn't seem like most others have needed to do that.

Also, it sounds like if you remove the sensor unit, you might need to replace the whole windshield (which the dealer doesn't believe).

They have also offered me the option of swapping the car for the version with Moonroof/Bose/liftgate/camera built in for Invoice - $200 (which avoids having them continuing to hack away at the car), but not sure if that is a good deal or if I will go with that.

My dealer has offered to fix it, but based on how they delivered the car to me initially (with rain sensor and light sensor totally removed and cable for rearview mirror coming out of the wrong spot) I am a bit skeptical that they are going to do a good job. The claim they can put the sensor back on my "trimming down" the plastic casing off the sensor, but it doesn't seem like most others have needed to do that.

Also, it sounds like if you remove the sensor unit, you might need to replace the whole windshield (which the dealer doesn't believe).

They have also offered me the option of swapping the car for the version with Moonroof/Bose/liftgate/camera built in for Invoice - $200 (which avoids having them continuing to hack away at the car), but not sure if that is a good deal or if I will go with that.

Can you take a picture of your rearview mirror and sensor? I'm interested in seeing exactly what is going on. There is a cover over the sensor (it is a 2 piece black plastic box, about the size of a couple DVD cases stacked), which needs to come off - in fact, the camera kit comes with a different cover that has more holes for wires. The rain sensor is a clear/white piece of plastic that is bonded to the glass. Is that hanging loose?

I'll see if I can get a picture of the mirror in my wife's car when there is some daylight.

I'd guess that the dealer techs haven't installed many of these. I starting installing the kit without carefully reading the instructions, and it didn't go well. Even after reading the instructions, it took a long time to do and some of the steps are very frustrating.
Just getting the mirror off was tricky. Routing the wires from the mirror, through the headliner, down the A-pillar, under the sill plates, behind the trim pieces in the trunk and into the tailgate is incredibly tedious. However, since I was working on my wife's car, I was highly motivated to get everything back together perfectly. If it wasn't your car (or you didn't have to deal with an angry wife), I could see someone getting frustrated and not finishing strong.

Last edited:
I attached a picture, but basically the entire sensor box is missing and there is just a clear spot on the windshield with some adhesive on it (where I imagine the senor was previously) surrounded by a dark coating that goes up to the top of the windshield.

Thanks for the advice!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 167
I attached a picture, but basically the entire sensor box is missing and there is just a clear spot on the windshield with some adhesive on it (where I imagine the senor was previously) surrounded by a dark coating that goes up to the top of the windshield.

Thanks for the advice!

Yep, the dealer tech screwed up big time. The sensor fills in the clear rectangle.

At this point, I suppose all you can do is let them try to fix it, and keep after them until the auto wipers work. If they can get some clear adhesive and reattach the sensor, it might be ok.

Similar experience when my sport was fitted with the rear camera by the dealer. Basically the installation is too complicated because Mazda tried to save $5 by leaving out wiring for the camera kit. Dealers are horrible accessory installers.
For me, they left the rear gate seal open which resulted in water leaking in. I fixed it myself and didnt trust the dealer.
ps: I think the rain sensor is usually part of the windshield (usually for other cars I have seen).

rain sensor is usually part of the windshield.
This is bad news for us with rain-sensors in case we need to replace the windshield due to crackings.
I actually have two small crackings due to road gravels. Luckily they don't seem to get worse.

OK, I think Auto Glass Shop can do a perfect job.
On my very first Mazda, Millenia 96, its rearview mirror is glued to windshield.
When my windshield cracked, I came to there shop to replace it.
They remove mirror from the glass, glued it back to the new glass, and I couldn't notice any difference.
Since dealers are not a autoglass shop, so they may not have glass glue to do the right job.

Attaching the mirror mount with adhesive is routine and really not that difficult. Re-attaching the rain sensor is a whole different issue.

The mirror mount is a purely mechanical attachment. The sensor detects rain and must transmit an electronic signal to activate the wipers. I do not think gluing it back on will fix the damage.

If you look at jschwa image, you can see adhesive residue.
I just want to ask jschwa to see if the remain adhesive is still sticky or hard.
I read this article and understand that, each sensor only require a transparent view to the windshield, so it may easy to attach rain-sensing module to windshield by glue without prevent it working properly.

Back