Replacement emergency key from Smart card key

dad_of_4

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi,

I lost my emergency key & need to replace it. I found a guy in China who has them for $7 but they don't have a chip. Does anyone know if they need one?

Thanx,

Jason

Not sure. I do know that a smartcard will not fuction without the hardcopy key inserted inside the smartcard. It's like it is dead, so therefore I'm not sure if it communicates with a chip in the aux key, or if it just feels the key inside it and works like that. i'm inclined to believe that the key has a chip.

Not sure. I do know that a smartcard will not fuction without the hardcopy key inserted inside the smartcard. It's like it is dead, so therefore I'm not sure if it communicates with a chip in the aux key, or if it just feels the key inside it and works like that. i'm inclined to believe that the key has a chip.

I don't believe that's true. I always removed the key from the fob and kept it in my pocket whenever I dropped my CX-9 off for service or car wash. Did this in case they lost the fob or locked it in the vehicle. They never had any issues with lock/unlock or starting.

SmartCard does not need the emergency key to function.

In fact, when you give your SmartCard to the vallet, you should take the metal key off
like Force-1 said. Metal key can be duplicated, but very difficult to duplicate the card unless
you have TWO of them, or go to the dealer for it (need to prove ownership).

weird...my card must not work correctly. When I go running, I just take the key, and I have tried pressing the card buttons and nothing happens if the key is not physically in the card. weird.

weird...my card must not work correctly. When I go running, I just take the key, and I have tried pressing the card buttons and nothing happens if the key is not physically in the card. weird.

but it works when the key is inserted? Maybe it's different in the new models? I know they changed the smart key on the 2010's

Maybe we are talking about diff models here.
I have the "card"-type SmartKey.

Hi,

I lost my emergency key & need to replace it. I found a guy in China who has them for $7 but they don't have a chip. Does anyone know if they need one?

Thanx,

Jason

I am betting that it does. A chipless key might open the door but might not be able to start the vehicle, though for $7 bucks, I might just take the chance. Instead of the flat credit card type, the 2010s have a miniature brick or fob into which the key slides. Both the fob and the key have chips and are independent of each other. They open and lock doors and liftgate while separated from each other. I suspect all model years work similarly.

Last edited:
I guess for $7 its worth the gamble. Mine does work without the emergency key as well. I think it may be worth also buying 3rd credit card key just to be able to program it in case I lose one of the other 2. The dealers charge a fortune.

RFID is actually very cheap to make.
Usually 10c or less for passive ones (w/o battery).

mazda emergency smart card.

Hi,

Thanx,

Jason

To answer you question, yes the small emergency key does have an immobilizer chip inside and the one from china without a chip cannot be programmed to start your car. However you do not need to have the smart card inside of the car when starting it with the emergency key. What I ended up doing with my car after breaking my smart card was just to get a emergency key with a chip that I could put on my keyring. I purchased one from eBay that was very similar to this one

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Replacing Smart Card Emergency Key

To answer you question, yes the small emergency key does have an immobilizer chip inside and the one from china without a chip cannot be programmed to start your car. However you do not need to have the smart card inside of the car when starting it with the emergency key. What I ended up doing with my car after breaking my smart card was just to get a emergency key with a chip that I could put on my keyring. I purchased one from eBay that was very similar to this one

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I just wanted to share my experience that I ordered one of these keys from ebay after losing my keys and successfully had them programmed at the dealer. The cheapest one that I could find on ebay WITH CHIP was at this link. https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Back