Why car not boosting?

:
Yellow 2003.5 MSP!
It drives like its N/a. I mean, its spools a little bit but not like its suppose to and I dont hear the BPV flutter anymore.

Also, when the car is running, i can hear, very lightly, what sounds like air leaking. I pinch the vacuum line and the sound stops. Am i just hearing the air in the lines or am i leaking somewhere? I replaced the vacuum lines recently (WGA, IM and BPV), but i used Kragen's fuel lines which are actually a larger diameter which mean less velocity inside the lines, but I dont think that should affect it though. I used hose clamps to secure everything.

I double checked the turbo, and the turbine wheel is still spinning smoothly with no play (intake side). But for some reason, still no boost. I checked the IC pipes and no cracks; the car is still stock so i dont see why it would crack. The WGA is good cuz i blow air into the line that enters the WGA and no air passes through. Also, i found out that Im missing two bottom bolts on my exhaust manifold.

Im thinking, as a possibility, that exhaust gasses are leaking out from the ex. mani. and there isnt enough pressure to continue compressing the air when at boost, and that combined with the larger diameter vacuum lines is causing me to have no boost but I seriously doubt that theory.

Are there any other reasons as to why the car isnt boosting?

try to reach the wastegate rod and see if you can wiggle it, if you can the clip may have came off and let the rod slip off, i had that problem

It could be a blown WGA, bad internal WG (Ive had that problem), boost leaks, ect ect... First lets determine if you have a vac leak... as asked earlier what is the amount of vac your pulling at idle?

wastegate flap stuck open http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759269-no-boost-found-problem&highlight=
busted wastegate would cause over boost..
and bro go to autozone and get a boost guage then bye a good wideband best trouble shooting equipment you can bye.Then later the droid has a program called torque you can graph everything cats, maf, timeing signals and gives you great visuals so you can figure alot of stuff out.

I checked out that thread,it was a good read. but the thing is, i blew air into the line of the wastegate and air did not pass through. Doesn't that mean my WGA is still good?

It could be a blown WGA, bad internal WG (Ive had that problem), boost leaks, ect ect... First lets determine if you have a vac leak... as asked earlier what is the amount of vac your pulling at idle?
Im pretty sure its not a vac leak, my car is pulled apart right not so i cant even try that if i wanted to. I did the thing where you blow into the vac line of the wastegate and no air passed through it

try to reach the wastegate rod and see if you can wiggle it, if you can the clip may have came off and let the rod slip off, i had that problem

I just tried to wiggle it and no movent

Did you check the flap the thread was showing the flap did not alighn together with the opening mine was stuck against the wall so it could not close and in turn would not build boost. Yes not being able to blow through your waste gate means that it is still good.

Check your couplers if you have any small tears or rips in them.. if stock SMIC and stock pipe check for small cracks

Did you check the flap the thread was showing the flap did not alighn together with the opening mine was stuck against the wall so it could not close and in turn would not build boost. Yes not being able to blow through your waste gate means that it is still good.

OP, confirm this please.. you litearlly have to take the turbo off the car to confirm this and even the s-pipe.

No i didnt actually pull off the wastegate and physically see the flap, i just blew air into the wastegate. Should i take it off and check it still?

You need to get a boost gauge on that car ASAP, for starters...

I know man, its just i had other expenses that need to be addressed. But i do know i NEED one now.

Check your couplers if you have any small tears or rips in them.. if stock SMIC and stock pipe check for small cracks

OP, confirm this please.. you litearlly have to take the turbo off the car to confirm this and even the s-pipe.

I couldnt see any cracks during many inspections. Are they so small i might have overlooked it? Also, what does OP mean (noob question, sorry)?

No i did not have time to check the internal wastegate.

This is why I keep asking... I've been chasing down boost issues for years on my car and it came down to this... this is fully closed!!!

crap002.jpg

This is why I keep asking... I've been chasing down boost issues for years on my car and it came down to this... this is fully closed!!!

crap002.jpg

^^ Same here. I bought a spare turbo and the WG flap does not fully close.

Were you guys able to blow into the the wastegate with the flap stuck open?

Also, can you show me, on the picture, which parts you call the flap, the hinge and the sleeve.

Last edited:
Were you guys able to blow into the the wastegate with the flap stuck open?

Also, can you show me, on the picture, which parts you call the flap, the hinge and the sleeve.

I can provide a picture later on... cant access it at work. Yes the WGA appeared to be perfectly fine when the flap(the round peice) was stuck open

Back