Need help with error code!!!!

xixpro73gexix

:
1999 Mazda Protege Lx
OK im not sure if i just havent looked around enough on here, but i am getting the error code P0171(system too lean in bank 1) its not too affecting but i can see some problems(random bursts of acceleration, lower gas mileage). I keep reading its the MAF, but even after cleaning it and resetting everything, it comes back on about a week later. I used brake cleaner to clean it would there be a better cleaner for it? ive checked all the hoses and they seem pretty decent but the only thing i noticed is on my SRI there seems to be some small rub marks on the filter but it doesnt look like theres a hole going through it. My dad whose been working on car for 25 years says maybe it could be the throttle position sensor since the electrical currents keep jumping on the volt meter for its connection, but maybe im testing that the wrong way. i dont know. but any help would be appreaciated!!!

Just my 2 cents but you should not use brake cleaner to clean an MAF. There is MAF cleaner you can buy at any autoparts store. But anyways as for your P0171 i was throwing that code too, I had a crack in my air intake hose and I replaced it with a new one code is now gone.

I had that code. Replaced my maf sensor, and both o2 sensors. Found a tear in the vaccum line to the brake booster on the back of the intake manifold. Cel went away get better mileage and would you guess my brakes work better?

Back