increase low end torque

:
i tried searching the forum, but i refuse to read the 100 page threads.
so does anyone know how i can increase low end torque?

Do you have an aftermarket CAI? From what little I've read, it seems that the CAI's, like the Injen, take away a little on the bottom end and it was suggested to go back to the stock intake with a K&N filter. Thats what I'm running along with the cutout on the back of the grill to let a lot more cool air in. Its no diesel but I have plenty of pick up an go.

no i don't have the aem, ive read alot about it taking away from the lower end, so i'd probably never get it. does a cold air intake increase lower end torque do you think?

You would want a short ram intake. And some long tube headers.

I have a supercharger and long tube headers. My low end is awesome.

i wanna get an mp3 ecu, but i don't have money for the flash, or the actual mp3 ecu, yet. No one ever wrecks an mp3 so they're never at salvage yards either. After i get these obx headers im probably just gonna save for the flash. I hear that the mp3 ecu only increases in the mid(?) or something, im not sure. I'll eventually turbo my car, im just impatient and want quicker throttle response and low end torque

i've been considering a catless exhaust, just since i can register my car in my moms town and not have to pass emmisions..... i'm not sure what an underdrive pulley is, i'll read into it and look at prices for both. Where'd you get these parts, just online or in a shop?

look up underdrive pulley for our cars, and you'll find plenty. lol
I bought mine online somewhere. its been years so I forgot where. you will need a smaller belt too as the underdrive pulley is smaller in diameter than the stock. its also much much light too.

i read about the pulley, but i can't find where to buy it? would you not recommend obx, thats the only one i can find to buy. I can't find that MAM mid pipe tho at all, i read all tehse forums about people with em, but nowhere to find em.... theoretically would any catless midpipe and underdrive pulley work well together?

I actually just saw a picture of a midpipe and i realised that obx has them for sale on their site too....
since i'm a noob idk what the good parts are tho so some guidance would be great :D
*edit* I lied i saw a test pipe on the obx site, whats the difference?

oh and what would you recommend first between those^

Last edited:
UDPs are FS in the FS section a lot and they're super easy to install. You'll feel more low end if you install a lightweight flywheel (fidanza) but that involves serious transmission work...great to do when you need to replace your clutch.

more low end torque...you'll have to replace both belts with any UDP (under drive pulley). When we say UDP, we're talking about an underdriven crank pulley. The major brands are unorthodox, OBX and RR-Racing. I have the RR...I believe they stopped making them, but they're in the FS section often enough. There's a thread on belt replacement somewhere...if I find it, I'll post it here. The MP3 ECU I have for sale will help a lot too! :)

Last edited:
haha man i want that ecu so bad but i really have no money and a perfect condition ipod nano thats pink haha im pretty much sol

haha i mean thats all i have to trade and nobody wants that shiit

Last edited:
just curious why do you want low end torque? btw its not that nobody wrecks an mp3 its just that theyre rare as in 1500 of them. if you do find on you should buy it and part it out body kits bring around 400 alone if in good shape

Where do you want to feel the power? Are you running 1st-2nd to redline or shifting at 3k? Personally I'd consider it:
1k-3k = Low End
3k-5k = Mid Range
5k+ = Top End

The FS is pretty down on power from the get-go, but is very torquey and has decent low end for what it is. Judging by your post about the MP3 ECU, I might suggest hanging onto your money for a worthwile power investment? The majority of your options look to increase the midrange and up and to be honest, you may feel disappointed once you look at your cost vs performance gained with intake/exhaust/header/UD/etc. Consider a turbo/supercharger setup, KL swap or a cadillac northstar v8 :D; none of which are bolt-on affairs, but your pissing into the wind thinking you're going to "feel the power" with things like the bolt on's mentioned.

Another word of wisdom, careful what you wish for, tinkering often leads to breakdowns, and the turbo route is full of blown motors. None of this is cheap and if you looking for a modest improvement in power, perhaps a different car is in order?

i havent ran the car over 4k and i shift at 3-3.5 usually, but i hear the mp3 ecu helps for midrange. i would like to throw the msp turbo on my car, but idk if you can just buy a msp kit new, you know? imma turbo it one day, just gotta decide how i want to go about it.. i don't wanna get rid of this car cuz i got it for such a steal!

If you havnt had it past 4k then its obvious you baby it so why would you want to spend money to make it faster if your not going to see what the true potential of the car is? 140 ft lbs of torque is pretty good for a 4cyl economy car. Intake is mid to high range power mp3 ecu doesn't do much for power just smoothes it out exhaust is for top end most usually lose torque. If you want low end power honestly get another car even if you turbo you won't have any power till 3kish anywaythese cars handle good and unless you got a lot of money are really slow

Back