Replaced rear brakes & rotor...

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
We replaced all the brakes and rotors on the car and now the rear of the car is making this funny noise - it's like when you run over a manhole cover that's a little loose, but it sounds like this all the time, over any slight bump in the road...

Anyone know what this might be?

T.I.A.

The noise is in the rear of the car, and we did the breaks ourselves, so I'm wondering if we left something loose. It kinda sounds like the rotors are loose, it's making a sound like metal clunking. We took the rear tires off because that's where the noise is coming from, and the only thing we notice is the when you hold the lugs, they have a little play and they clunk with the rotor. If I'm not mistaken this is normal? I don't think that's the noise we hear since the weight of the car would make that play a little impossible, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I would recheck all your bolts first. When you say that the lugs are loose, are all of them or just one or two. My lugs don't move at all, and from my understanding, they shouldn't. Replacement of lugs isn't a big deal...maybe try that and see if that solves it.

Back