Help! Problem installing 2005 ATX V6 dogbone

nardvark

:
2005 6S Sport Wagon
Went to swap out my rear motor mount (dog-bone), and I ran into an issue. First of all, my stock dogbone mount has three extra holes (and small bolts, 10mm or so) in it that hold a heat-shield, presumably to shield the dogbone itself from the nearby exhaust manifold. Why they bothered, I don't know, because the mount is still dead after 65,000 miles...

Ok, I could live without that heat-shield. Then I removed the three 17mm bolts closer to the front of the car, and the single 15mm on the backside. Here's where the trouble starts. Instead of just the dogbone piece itself coming off, my mount is captive in a large chunk of aluminum that has the three 17mm bolt holes running through it (I think it's just a spacer). This would be fine, but the dogbone piece itself does not appear to come out, as the thing looks like it was stamped in by a machine. There's actually a ~10mm circular piece of the aluminum spacer that comes out through the dogbone bracket (the thin piece with the 3 bolt-holes), which would require ANOTHER hole that's not in my replacement bracket.

Has anyone changed a 2005 6S ATX rear mount and have any idea what the crap I'm talking about? None of the pictures of the various mounts (AWR, CP-E, whatever) have these additional holes, and none of them indicate that they come attached to a giant aluminium spacer.

At least it wasn't a total waste of time, since I was able to confirm that this is indeed the mount that's gone bad, as the rubber is quite torn up.

Thanks in advance!

Went to swap out my rear motor mount (dog-bone), and I ran into an issue. First of all, my stock dogbone mount has three extra holes (and small bolts, 10mm or so) in it that hold a heat-shield, presumably to shield the dogbone itself from the nearby exhaust manifold. Why they bothered, I don't know, because the mount is still dead after 65,000 miles...

Ok, I could live without that heat-shield. Then I removed the three 17mm bolts closer to the front of the car, and the single 15mm on the backside. Here's where the trouble starts. Instead of just the dogbone piece itself coming off, my mount is captive in a large chunk of aluminum that has the three 17mm bolt holes running through it (I think it's just a spacer). This would be fine, but the dogbone piece itself does not appear to come out, as the thing looks like it was stamped in by a machine. There's actually a ~10mm circular piece of the aluminum spacer that comes out through the dogbone bracket (the thin piece with the 3 bolt-holes), which would require ANOTHER hole that's not in my replacement bracket.

Has anyone changed a 2005 6S ATX rear mount and have any idea what the crap I'm talking about? None of the pictures of the various mounts (AWR, CP-E, whatever) have these additional holes, and none of them indicate that they come attached to a giant aluminium spacer.

At least it wasn't a total waste of time, since I was able to confirm that this is indeed the mount that's gone bad, as the rubber is quite torn up.

Thanks in advance!

Hey I have the same problem here. Did you ever figure out a solution? Or find a replacement mount that actually had the holes for the heat shield? I got the spacer part off of the old mount, but the replacement mount that I got doesn't match up.

Back