considering a 17" wheel; what size tire

stx195

:
2008 Speed3
I've searched, and looked thru a bunch of different threads on perhaps similar topics, but I think I've still come up short of where I need to be...

I've been running a 18x8 Rota P1 with 225/40 REO1R's the last two years on my '08.5 Speed3... in STU... ( the car is sits on Mazdaspeed springs - so there is a little bit of a drop... and I'm not rolled - this setup has been fine - no rubs ).

However, I've been thinking about trying a 17" wheel ( but sticking with the 8" width ) but what size tire will do it for me... will I be able to get away with a 235/40 on a 17" wheel? Or do I go 225/45 << but I'm not sure if that is the one... or do I go (backward ) to a 7.5" wide wheel and maybe a little less tire...

Any help would greatly appreciated...

Last edited:
I've searched, and looked thru a bunch of different threads on perhaps similar topics, but I think I've still come up short of where I need to be...

I've been running a 18x8 Rota P1 with 225/40 REO1R's the last two years on my '08.5 Speed3... in STU... ( the car is sits on Mazdaspeed springs - so there is a little bit of a drop... and I'm not rolled - this setup has been fine - no rubs ).

However, I've been thinking about trying a 17" wheel ( but sticking with the 8" width ) but what size tire will do it for me... will I be able to get away with a 235/40 on a 17" wheel? Or do I go 225/45 << but I'm not sure if that is the one... or do I go (backward ) to a 7.5" wide wheel and maybe a little less tire...

Any help would greatly appreciated...

Here's some links that I've found very useful.

This one allows you to compare stock or aftermarket with your future configurations. Helps me tremendously when looking at offsets and all.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Here is another thread with a lot of valuable information, on mazda 3 forums, modify (remove spaces) the link ;)

http://www.mazda 3 forums.com/index.php?topic=124746.0

235's will fit fine. Good luck

Last edited:
tweak's correct. The 235/40 is more or less going to be square on an 8 inch wide wheel.

or you could get an 17x8.5/ or 9" and use 245s, if that is allowed. More contact patch.

Back