Red "Key" light flashes; short smartcard range?

This whole over-protective system is annoying me. If you open a door while the engine is on, it beeps inside and out, alerting anyone nearby that your car is speaking its mind. If you have your smartcard anywhere but on your person while driving, the red "key" light flashes slowly. Even if I have the smartcard in the center cup holder, the red "key" light flashes, because it is not on my person.

The owners manual contradicts itself, stating you should have the smartcard on your person while driving, but then also states its effective range is basically anywhere inside the car.

Well, you can throw the card out the window into the ditch and it will still run, you just get the red flashing key light and if you turn the car off, you won't be able to turn it back on until you have the smartcard with you again.

I've changed the card battery, but that didn't help the inside sensitivity.

Anyone figure out a workaround for the whole opening the cardoor without the system freaking out?

Did you happen to have the SmartCard near your cell phone?
They don't mix together well ...

I'll have to pay attention to that next time to see where my cell is at.

What more annoys me is how much it freaks out when you open the door and the engine is still running. Maybe I want to leave the engine running with the door open, as people have been doing this for what, 100 years now?

Back