just hit 20,000 mi! blown head gasket :(

NYXphil13

SO, about a month or two ago, I got a check engine light for a random cylinder misfire. Brought the car to the dealership, they said my spark plugs were fried so they put in a new set. A little while after, the code came back, so I purchased some step colder plugs...CEL still appeared. I took out the coils to switch them and said wtf, lets do a compression test. Turns out clyinders 2 and 3 are reading at a significantly lower psi than 1 and 4. WTF.

Last edited:
How much lower are 2 and 3 reading vs 1 and 4? If it's more than a 5% difference theres an issue.

Don't rule out rings...

I'm new to APs but what tune do you have on it? Some det could cause some issues of course.

Ouch....

A good way to check to see if its the rings, put a drop or two of oil into the cyclinder and if it reads significantly higher than before, than it's the rings. If not, you just ruled something out.

50% diff your motor is done.

Heard TOOO many horror stories with COBB AP blowing up our motors, so glad I stuck with HT.

UPDATE

turns out I blew the motor for sure, pistons are fried too. cool. first one to zoom zoom boom w this mileage?

Sorry for your loss man. That sucks. What's your plan at this point? Are you going all forged and rebuilding or looking to pull a factory motor from a wrecked 07 to 10?

Sorry too, man. Sounds like OP got a bit aggressive with his AP tune or that he was getting boost creep from maxing out the wastegate on the turbo from all that extra flow.

right now i don't even have a plan, its sitting in my garage at home while im finishing up at school with finals and all that.

Last edited:
R u still on factory warranty?if so put everything back into stock and return ur Car to the dealer!!!

Regarding putting eveything back and making a warranty claim: I guess you guys know that a savvy dealer or manufacturer rep can read the ECU and know that even if it is flashed back to stock, that the date and time of the reflash will show up on the ECU scanner. That would result in an outright denial or a lot of uncomfortable questions and then a denial. Give it a try if you wish. Don't be surprised if it does not work for you. And then there will be all those unavoidable scratches and tool marks from wrenches and or sockets on the downpipe and secondary cat studs and bolts to explain. I imagine that the stock CBE was probably cut in taking it out, too, since OP has a full TBE. I guess it can't hurt to try, but don't expect much luck.

Last edited:
I would guess it's hit or miss on success with trying to get things covered by warranty...but like MSMS3 said, any dealer/mechanic/shop worth half a s*** is going to be able to tell if your car is newly back to stock.

Agreed - just setting yourself up for an embarrassing denial and wasting both your time, and the dealership's time if you ask me.
I'd either go forged or go with a donor motor from a yard and sell off your left over parts.

To be Mr. Brightside here, you blew the motor without grenading it. This means all you gotta do is pull it and rebuild it. Easy-peasy compared to sourcing another block, etc., as is the usual result of an engine pop on this platform.

So much misinformation here. Return your car to stock and try to get it covered under waraty, many have been fully bolted and got covered. More people were blowing before the AP came along on stock tune with simple bolt on's. I've been running the piss out of my car with stg2 AP OTS map for two years, not one CEL yet. Many trips to the drag strip and Tail of the Dragon, not to mention all the hard pulls on the road. Many people have started out with the HT only to end up with the AP. Stock tune on this car sucks and I would sale it before going back, love my AP.

^Misinformation? Beg to differ, respectfully.

Many of us ran bolted or very close to it with no problems for many thousands of miles on stock tune. For me that was about 40,000 miles with intake and with catless big downpipe and racepipe and colder plugs at 18 psi boost. But I monitored meticulously. Now I have added HT tune, which is very complimentary with my mods and resolved the only issue I was having, which were very quick, transient boost spikes to 21 when first coming up on boost at WOT.

I'm not familiar with the stock ECU blown engine phenemenon you mention. That ECU programming is very protective. The "stock" ECU blown engines I've heard about were typically owners running manual boost controllers.

On the other hand there are thread after thread after thread of problems with the stage 1 OTS AP maps, especially the early ones, and thread after thread after thread about blown engines on AP tune (most probably due to stupid mistakes made in the tables by owners or custom tuners, or those crappy OTS maps).

And, for what it is worth, there is at least one guy on another board who is fully bolted, has about 40,000 miles on the car still on stock tune and is running 12.6 quarters on DOT radials. It's often a matter of making careful, complimentary mods and even more careful monitoring rather than being a fanboy for any particular tuning option. That's not to say that a well tuned AP car would not be even better. But one ought be careful in automatically slamming either the stock tune or HT. Both are better than one might think when the car is otherwise properly configured.

I still say that OP's engine failure was due to bad tuning choices in AP, and that going back to stock and trying to defraud the dealer and Mazda is likely to get him caught when they check the date on the ECU flash and start looking deeper.

Last edited:
I still don't understand MS3 owners who were smart enoug to discover a good running car like the MS3, smart enough to earn enough money or have a Dad to purchase one but dumb enough to want to LIE and DEFRAUD a dealership because they wern't smart enough to modify with inteligance or not modify at all!
Just my $.02!

Back